Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Coupe
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I've recently bought a 2001 2.5 RS. I was told by the old owner that the catalytic converter gets red hot after half an hour of driving. The car will then stall. I thought that meant it had a plugged cat, so I bought it and took the cat out... It has already been gutted... On the underside of the engine a TON of oil as accumulated, I was removing dried clumps of it yesterday. It seems to be coming from the bottom of both sides of the engine. When started, the car runs but burns a ton of oil. It can be smelled immediately and the exhaust is blue. A knowledgeable friend, who doesn't know much about Subaru's says I have a bad tune and it's just dumping gas/oil into the exhaust. I have yet to run the car for more than 15 min and it is not registered for driving on the road. Should I go get a new tune? Or is it possible I have a bad head gasket? I'm new to Subaru's/cars in general so any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
73 Posts
It honestly sounds like the head gasket, is the smell a sweet smell? When you look in the rad is it a weird color? Everything you described sounds exactly like a head gasket but without a Visual it’s hard to tell.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What colour would the coolant be? And what colour should it be? It is kind of a sweet smell, really just smells like a lot of burning oil. I can add photos if that makes it easier.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Normally the coolant is green, oil and coolant burn and smell different it’s something you will have to research the difference it’s kinda hard to explain pictures will help a lot, they sell cheap head gasket tests that you take some of your radiator fluid in and tells you by it changing colors if it’s your head gasket because coolant will mix with oil I do no recommend driving it until you Diagnosed and fix whatever is wrong to provide causing more issues

·
Registered
73 Posts
You have your rear main seal, your valve cover gaskets ect that could be leaking depending on if it was driven it could be coming from the front two main seals where your timing and oil pump, heck it could be even the oil pan just depends on what has been maintained and how many miles are on it

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, thanks for your help, I'll look into getting it tested. Here are some photos of where I'm finding the most oil:

From top to bottom:
-Coolant with flash on from fill cap, yes it's too full. When I first got the car I didn't see where the fill line was, so I filled it to the top, stupid me.
-Oil pan, covered in oil.
-Underside of the right side of the engine, near the oil filter.
-Underside of the left side of engine
-Top side left side of engine
-Underneath the engine, I'm finding lots of oil here

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hate to say it buddy but you have a blown head gasket and a lot of different leaks it seems you need either a new engine or rebuild sorry for the unfortunate luck with your first car it’s always good to take a car to a machnic before purchasing the radiator fluid is Murky it should be straight green

·
Registered
73 Posts
Your oil pan also looks like someone jacked it up on it or something I would get it tested just to be safe but that is the rad over flow not the radiator lid hard to tell if it’s just dirty or not

·
Registered
73 Posts
If the head gasket material blows between a water jacket and the inner area next to the cylinder, compression gases will enter the water jacket and send air through the head and into the cooling system. Blown head gaskets produce profuse bubbling inside the radiator and expansion reservoir. Rapid overheating results.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your help, that's disappointing. Sorry I got the rad/coolant overflow mixed up. What would you guess the car is worth now? I don't have the skills to be swapping an engine...

·
Registered
73 Posts
The car it’s self is rare I don’t know how much you paid for it or the condition of the body if you were in the north west I would by this if it has a clean title and not a lot of rust I can see you getting anywhere from 2 to 3500$ maybe just depends how it’s out there this is one of my favorite cars and it really is a bad ass car with the right love

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got it for $1150, on the condition that the cat was the only problem. I've found that the 2.5 is more common than the WRX and STI out here. Rough running/driving examples are going for around $2000 CAD. It has some fender and rocker rust. Btw, I looked at the overflow again, in the picture, that's not a bubble. I had flash on on my phone, it captured the pipe at the bottom of the overflow.

I would love to keep the car, maybe do a swap for a WRX or STI engine, but I really don't have the money, time or knowledge. But I'll consider it! Again, thanks for your help and continued replies!

·
Registered
73 Posts
No problem you can always learn to do it your self on this website once you learn how to find things has over 20 years of knowledge and just about any thing you need to know about anything good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts