Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i ahve a 96 i mpreza L 2.2 and have recently been having alot of mechanical problems like overheating and most recently i went thru a major puddle and my cai sucked up water and ruined the mass air flow sensor. im getting sick of spending money to fix this engine but i love the car. im lookin for ideas as far as engine swaps i was something thts cheap and easy to work with . ne ideas ?? plz i need help

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Change the headgaskets, clean the fouled MAF and stay the fuck out of the water....

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
The EJ18 is comparable....but the milage (efficiency) is worse, the performance doesn't fit an AWD drivetrain, and is not as good of a choice for a Subaru. The EJ22 reigns supreme!!! Burrito Supreme!!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
i would go with just fix it for now and save for a swap. an as a 1.8 owner those motors like never die. mine went over 250 with original head gasket.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i just got the car back from the subaru dealer and they changed the maf and the car is still doin the same thing it was doing before i brought it in this is some bull shit so now i gotta take it back on friday and there gonna look at it for free

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
03 350z for now
491 Posts
The EJ18 is comparable....but the milage (efficiency) is worse, the performance doesn't fit an AWD drivetrain, and is not as good of a choice for a Subaru. The EJ22 reigns supreme!!! Burrito Supreme!!!!
:banana:Srsly! After I got my L wagon, and doing a shitload of basic maintenance the previous owner didn't do (plugs, valve cover gaskets, wires, fuel filter, pcv, etc) the difference is amazing. I'm quite shocked at the torque from the little guy...nothing to write home about, but unexpected for sure.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
I blew up a 1.8l, spun bearing.

But I blew up a 2.5l too... (think that was due to previous owner though, only lasted me 2,000 miles)

2.2 still running strong! Turbo in a month or so hopefully!

But yeah, "Cheap" is a relative term. for cheap IMHO at around $800 total for all the gaskets and seals and the engine itself you could do a 2.5RS swap. For ~$2500 you could turbocharge and rebuild your 2.2, For ~$3000 or so you could do a WRX swap, or for more you could go STi.

I'd suggest posting some of your problems on here and mabye we can help you discover the cause? Is it electrical? Mechanical? what's wrong?

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
03 350z for now
491 Posts
I'm fascinated your car is still running.
You went thru a puddle and damaged your MAF you said. Then replace the MAF and your headgaskets (like everyone said already). After that, do some basic maintenance and take the CAI off for now.

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
03 350z for now
491 Posts
Why don't you call around shops to get estimates?
I figure about $500 for an independent shop. But it varies...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts