Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2 broken subarus...
'00 Subaru Impreza OBS
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured Id ask this on here. I'm wanting to switch to a blow through maf from a draw through, because it seems to have better tuning capabilities. Plus, I already pulled a wire out of the maf plug. So I'm going to be putting it on the drivers side intercooler pipe next to the battery and such.

I have a few questions, the first being what is the best way to lengthen the wires? It has to go from the passenger side to the drivers side. What gauge wire is best? I know how to solder and have an iron (very basic knowledge though).

The second is what length of pipe is optimal for the best function of the maf? I called KSTech since they sell the maf housings, and they said double the pipe diameter is optimal, but any long straight section is acceptable. I have a section that is around 12-13" long.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2000 BRP Coupe
622 Posts
Figured Id ask this on here. I'm wanting to switch to a blow through maf from a draw through, because it seems to have better tuning capabilities. Plus, I already pulled a wire out of the maf plug. So I'm going to be putting it on the drivers side intercooler pipe next to the battery and such.

I have a few questions, the first being what is the best way to lengthen the wires? It has to go from the passenger side to the drivers side. What gauge wire is best? I know how to solder and have an iron (very basic knowledge though).

The second is what length of pipe is optimal for the best function of the maf? I called KSTech since they sell the maf housings, and they said double the pipe diameter is optimal, but any long straight section is acceptable. I have a section that is around 12-13" long.

Thoughts?
Late response but hopefully you found your answer:

You can use just normal primary wire, about 18ga, you can extend the shielding but others have been fine without it. The MAF pipe itself doesn't have to be long but you need 6-8" of straight post MAF for the readings to be acceptable.

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,914 Posts
if you spend the time going blow though, put the blow off valve before the MAF.

I have the same intercooler pipe and BOV, I'm reading up on going blow-through myself. But I'm going it with a GM MAF

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
White '01 RS & Silver '88 GL
65 Posts
I have my MAF sensor there, but only use it for IAT. I think I used 18ga wire to extend it. Is there a reason that you chose Blow-through MAF instead of Speed Density?

What size is your turbo? I assume you are wanting to change from your origional MAF because you are sucking more air than it can read?

Since these replies are late, any updates?

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,914 Posts
I'm on a 98 NA ecu, Main reason i wanted to go blow through is to avoid BOV venting issues and less intake mess before the turbo. I'm looking into speed density and might go that route instead. I'm in communications with the DSM MAF translator people and working on a write up to use a MAFt on a Subaru. I been through the manuals and its very possible and the MAFt Pro does speed density and is only $400, then of course you need a GM MAP and IAT, but those are cheap too. With the MAFt I can do either blow-though with a GM maf or speed density, it will also autotune when coupled with a LC-1 or similar. I sound like a salesman but it's because I'm the type that tries other options based on research instead of what everyone else does, right or wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts