Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
honestly, it was really simple. It was my first engine pull of any kind. If you search the DIY section, you'll find a thread of awesomeness!

·
Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,278 Posts
I've pulled my motor 5 or six times now. The first time took me 2 afternoons.

I can complete a full swap by myself in about 4 hours if everything goes well.

The longest part is waiting for the radiator to drain, and mating the motor back up to the transmission.

-- Dave

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Sole, where you going to do the swap? I wouldn't mind coming to help you as long as you have the hoist and the tools.

·
Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
443 Posts
I did it last weekend, really not too hard. It was my first time doing it, though I have a pretty good understanding of these things, plus I had some good help and a manual which really helps remind you of things. I'd call total time around 14 hours, but that's taking my time and being very patient. You also don't necessarily need an engine hoist, if you've got a come-along and some chains, it's not hard to do from the roof of your garage or even from a solid tree branch. I did it from the roof of my garage, no problem, just make sure you get it VERY well mounted if you do it this way.

·
Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
443 Posts
The other important factor is if you have a good set of tools and place to do it. You'd really want a garage, and the main tools are just sockets and some box wrenches where sockets don't fit, though if you have things like a flywheel holder it helps. What kind of facilities do you have access to?

Note: I'm going to school out in Rochester, and if you're still in need of help in a couple weeks I might be able to make a trip over your way.

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS (STM)
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha none... a backyard. I'm just a college student who switched from an integra to a 2.5rs within the last 5 months, this is all new to me. I dont know much about my rs yet or about swapping. All I know is that I need a car because school starts monday and I dont live on campus

·
Registered
98 SE-R 01 RS
496 Posts
Engine Removal link

It's not that hard at all. I did mine on the street in front of my house. The DIY is pretty straight forward. The hardest part is mating then engine back to the tranny when you're re-installing it. Just lube up everything and wiggle it around some. It should just slide on.

·
Registered
1998 2.5 RS
1,744 Posts
It isn't really a swap just a replacement. You shouldn't have a hard time with it if you have any mechanical abilities.

I think it took me about 3 hours to get mine ready to pull, and I took off the whole front end, so if you are just pulling the engine, maybe 2 then say a little bit longer to get it back in. Easily done in a day.

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
I know that you said you were a college student and on a budget, but here's a thread that probably has a place close to you to do swaps. Defly swap if you can because now is the time since your motor went. That's when I'm going to do it.
http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63515

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
If your not that far from Mass, try and find a way to get your car up there and take it to ECS. You will get your swap done right the first time with these guys.

·
Registered
483 Posts
jdm 2.0 but that requires some wiring that will cost you quite a bit if you dont do it yourself. i would stick to replacing the 2.5 if you dont have thousands to spend. Good luck though

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
As long as your 99' 2.5 motor was SOHC, there shouldn't be any issues. You have to use your current intake manifold on the new motor, but that should be the only issue.

·
Registered
01 STM RS EJ257, 6MT, Brembos
2,033 Posts
The difference between 1999 and 2000 is that in 1999 there was a MAF, that little box a few inches square attached to the intake with all the wires going to it. In 2000 they switched to a system that reads the air at the throttle body. So if you get an '00 or '01 engine you need to keep your intake manifold and intake piping so that the engine will run.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts