Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Got the MRT exhaust system fitted on my car a couple of months ago, including MRT muffler.

I noticed that I have a fair amount of black deposits in my tailpipe (still talking about the car here ! ;) ).
Is that normal ?

Is a MY02, which has two cat converters standard, the MRT only has one 'high flow' cat........

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Almost 14000 miles, so I don't think there should be a problem with ANY sensors.

My car has two sensors : one before and one after the first catalytic converter (OEM exhaust). The first one is probably the O2 sensor you are talking about, the second one - behind the cat. - will check the cat.'s efficiency. Or is it the around way round ? For the second sensor, we had to cut and extend the wire because the MRT cat. is further down the exhaust.
Haven't seen any CEL's or any problems whilst driving.

Gonna clean it off thoroughly and wait and see...

Thanx for the link.

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
You have it right the back sensor will not really effect anything other than give a CEL light. When my front one went bad I got a lot of black soot on the tailpipes is why I mentioned it. Sounds like you don't have enough miles to need one though as you said. Have you noticed a drop in gas mileage?

·
Registered
2 Posts
A friend of mine told me that a little bit of black soot in the tailpipe is normal in cold weather. I don't know how cold it is over there in Belgium but that could be a reason...

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Your car's just running too rich. Do you have a CAI? If so, that would contribute to the a/f ration too.. You could try a Greddy E-Manage to lean it out a bit.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Greddy e-manage thread going on this board too.

I have found a respectable tuner, but the only problem is the
price for the moment : 850 euros (btw. euros are about the
same as dollars). Price inlcudes e-manage and tuning on a dyno.
Seems a bit pricey though. :(

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Seems quite pricey depending on the dyno time price. The E-Manage with injection and ignition harnesses and the software should be under $500 USD brand spanking new ($300 or less used).

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems a bit pricey, yes.
They are offering something cheaper, not much
cheaper though but I think it's a Unichip.
Good stuff also ?

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Email Trey Cobb about the ACCESS Flash Technology or something that theyre utilizing. You can buy a tool that reflashes your factory ECU for $4**.00 USD.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know, the Unichip has more functions as standard than the e-manage. Gonna go to the shop for a personal meet.
But I just had my income taxes in :curse: , and I'm expecting insurance soon too and need new tyres :( , so it may be a few more weeks for a final decision...

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
thanks to the utec movement among WRX owners, unichips can be had for nothing... I have seen them go for 200...;)

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Well, with the cheap technology available to flash your own factory ECU, why go with a Unichip? If you put a wideband 02 sensor and a good a/f gauge, you should be able to tune your car just as well, and retune it with future mods without paying someone more $$$.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts