29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1998 2.5rs Black Coupe:
Vin: JF1GM6757WG400795
Current Mileage: 199,XXX
Purchased: 6/23/2018

ToC:
#1 Brakes:https://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/3590849-post3.html
#2 Shifter Knuckle and Bushings:https://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/3592013-post4.html
#3 Custom Digital Dash:https://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/3593731-post16.html

Mod List:
::-Drivetain
-4.11 Rear LSD
-Cat back Exhaust
-Kartboy Short Shifter
-Kartboy Shifter Bushings

::-Suspension/Brakes
-KS Lowering Springs
-4/2 Pots
-Stoptech brake lines
-Kartboy rear brake adapters

::-Exterior
-Stock 16x7 Gold 5 Spokes
-Stock RS Spoiler
-JDM Clear Headlights
-JDM Clear Corners
-JDM White Line Taillights

::-Interior
-Alpine Head unit
-Custom Raspberry Pi Gauges
-Sabelt 6 point harness
-Sparco Grid II Driver Seat
-Sparco Wheel
-Sparco Wheel Hub

Photo Album:
1998 GM6 - Google Photos

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 2.5rs Black Coupe
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
#1 New Brakes

Just finished putting on the new Brake Labs Rotors and Pads the old rotors were rusted on pretty bad.

Car has much better brake feel.

·
Registered
1998 2.5rs Black Coupe
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
reminds me of when I first got my car. That was my first repair.

What are your plans?
Honestly i have no idea haha

Basically my dream car was a 1998 sedona red gc8 coupe but turns out 98 doesn't have sedona red as a factory color so that was kind of a let down so im in between trying to keep this as stock as i possibly can, or trying to decided what engine swap id like to do, really dont have anything specific yet, im still trying to pay my parents back for giving me the rest of the money to pick this one up. After that i would love a bucket seat to sit lower and maybe crystal headlights and amber corners.

If you have any ideas of what you think i should do im always up for suggestions.

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS Coupe
1,203 Posts
Honestly i have no idea haha

Basically my dream car was a 1998 sedona red gc8 coupe but turns out 98 doesn't have sedona red as a factory color so that was kind of a let down so im in between trying to keep this as stock as i possibly can, or trying to decided what engine swap id like to do, really dont have anything specific yet, im still trying to pay my parents back for giving me the rest of the money to pick this one up. After that i would love a bucket seat to sit lower and maybe crystal headlights and amber corners.

If you have any ideas of what you think i should do im always up for suggestions.
Aw man that's a bummer, but on the bright side it's better to have a black coupe painted red than to have a red coupe painted black (then you see red surfaces in the areas that weren't sprayed).

I am a huge exterior-aesthetics kind of guy; however, I wish the first major mod to my car was a turbo+6speed swap. You should build towards a GD drivetrain swap first for sure.

Thereafter, you can go for some OEM+ styling like Bast with her P1 replica. Or you can mix up some OEM+ and Japanese aftermarket parts like DLer's RS sedan. If its in the budget, there are many rally-style widebody's you can go for.

·
Registered
1998 2.5rs Black Coupe
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aw man that's a bummer, but on the bright side it's better to have a black coupe painted red than to have a red coupe painted black (then you see red surfaces in the areas that weren't sprayed).

I am a huge exterior-aesthetics kind of guy; however, I wish the first major mod to my car was a turbo+6speed swap. You should build towards a GD drivetrain swap first for sure.

Thereafter, you can go for some OEM+ styling like Bast with her P1 replica. Or you can mix up some OEM+ and Japanese aftermarket parts like DLer's RS sedan. If its in the budget, there are many rally-style widebody's you can go for.
I love the rally look but i also love jdm parts so it gets me really torn because id really love to have a 207 but that would be really hard to smog and im pretty sure the 257 is better for rally. But for now im just gonna get it back to really nice clean stock but that p1 rep is really nice! I might take a few style ideas :D thanks!

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS Coupe
1,203 Posts
I love the rally look but i also love jdm parts so it gets me really torn because id really love to have a 207 but that would be really hard to smog and im pretty sure the 257 is better for rally. But for now im just gonna get it back to really nice clean stock but that p1 rep is really nice! I might take a few style ideas :D thanks!

Good luck with that! If you need help with anything just shout out a question on the thread or PM me I'd be glad to point you in the direction you're looking for.

As you get it back to stock, just research everything you're replacing if there is a better alternative. I changed a lot of things back to stock before I realized GD-parts were a superior alternative and cost less. Also there are many pretty cool alternatives to things like Honda Accord intake + Honda Accord rear spats, Audi swaybar endlinks, and bulk ordering fasteners/clips from eBay that are the same as our OEM hardware but cheaper.

·
Registered
1998 2.5rs Black Coupe
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The hunt for the mysterious rattle

After 3 days i finally found the source of my shifter rattle...

Forgot to tighten the bold on my new knuckle

On the bright side i got pretty good at taking off the trans support

·
Registered
1998 2.5rs Black Coupe
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Polishing

Im going to start polishing the car tomorrow any tips for a noobie detailer?

·
Registered
99'RS w/EJ205, 16'340i 13'Volt
966 Posts
Tell me your pads, polisher, and any other products you think are relevant. I'll see what tips I can give based on the info you give. Have fun, take your time!

·
Registered
1998 2.5rs Black Coupe
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tell me your pads, polisher, and any other products you think are relevant. I'll see what tips I can give based on the info you give. Have fun, take your time!
Just picked up an "orange pad" medium cut, "white pad" medium polish, and "black pad" waxing, with a heavy medium and light polishing compounds and my dad just picked up a dual action polisher for us.

·
Registered
1998 2.5rs Black Coupe
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
#3 Custom Digital Dash

This is my custom digital dash that i made with a raspberry pi
it reads info from an obdII reader and is friction mounted on my column
im still doing little tweaks with it but it works really well!

I can do a write up if anyone would like me to.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 2.5rs Black Coupe
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Boom

Its a little late for this, but I have blown my engine back in August, its knocking pretty bad. So here goes, ive been doing my research and I decided that I want to do a 207 swap. I have a parts list made so far, and Im just saving for the parts. So if anyone has done this swap in California, and you have some insite to roadblocks that I may face, please let me know any help is appreciated.

Thank you to everyone on here for making such good posts and documentation about what items are needed for this! I cant thank you all enough!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts