Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1999 RSti
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My current plan
I've always wanted an Sti, but its never quite panned out to buy a newer one. I just started my career, though with student loans a car payment wasn't the best idea right now. Since the ej251 in my RS was getting old and problematic, it didn't make sense to keep putting money into it. In June 2013, I pulled the trigger on an Sti swap and haven't looked back. The car is a blast, and a total sleeper to the uneducated. I'm not used to having so much ability to 'assert' myself on the road. To me, its also really classy to keep the RS scene alive by taking good care of this car and turning it into a beautiful project.

My next big move will be to get the quarter panels repaired, along with small odds and ends to help neaten the car up. I'd like to be stage 2 within the year. I'll need to upgrade the trans in the future, but I think that I'm comfortable running it until it blows. Still not sure whether a Sti 6 speed, or built 5 speed would be better. I feel very fortunate to be able to have a project like this and am looking forward to turning it into my dream RS.

The old intro
I'm new to the Subie scene. Picked up this bad boy around two weeks ago. The body has 133xxx miles on it but I'm told the engine only has about 50k miles. The car came from the previous owner with Borla headers, a Clarion head unit, and Pioneer front speakers running on a small amp. I'm not sure which upgrade paths I plan to take or in what order, but I'm trying to make a zippy DD that handles on rails.

---------------------------Table of Contents-------------------------------
Post #2 -Small mods, tuneup and short-term ideas for the car.
Post #7 -Cosmo intake
Post #8 -Suspension install
Post #13 -Clutch, cams, and motor mounts
Post #79 -Head gasket recap

--------------------------------Mod List-------------------------------------

Engine and drivetrain

-2004 ej257 :D
-stainless clutch line
-Group N engine mounts
-Group N pitch stop
-Group N trans mount?
-Ferodo DS2500 pads
-Wrx front rotor upgrade
-H6 rear rotor upgrade
-Grimmspeed master cylinder brace

Interior

-JVC Arsenal h/u
-Pioneer front and rear speakers
-200w 4 channel amp
-10" Rockford sub
-500w Eclipse amp
-ebay short shifter
-Latheworks poly knob
-04 Wrx seats

Suspension

-Whiteline adjustable rear sway bar
-Kartboy endlinks
-Whiteline Roll Center Kit
-KYB Agx struts
-Eibach Prokit springs
-Kartboy rear subframe lockdown bolts
-Kartboy race hardness diff outrigger bushings
-rear camber bolts
-Paranoid Fabrications fender braces
-Whiteline steering rack bushings

Exterior

-Clear corners
-clear bananas
-Hella Supertones
-Red badge with black stars
-v6 rep lip

Wheels and Tires

-Gram Light 57c
-Continential DWS, 225-45-17
-Drop engineering lugs

Some new pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 RSti
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I installed an ebay short shifter the second night that I had the car. It made a big improvement on the shifter feeling crisp. On Tuesday I put the Paranoid Fabrications grounding kit. Wednesday was my first tuneup/overhaul session: only had the time to do oil change, new oil filter, rear diff fluid, fuel filter, wash and wax. I've been using Motul fluids. Didn't have time to get to the brake fluid but I'll be changing that soon as well.

I'm in the hiring process now, but if all goes smoothly with this job I'd like to swap the trans fluid and a new rsb. I'm not sure if 20mm is the best size to add to a stock setup or if I should go heavier. Hella supertones, superwhite bulbs, Cosmo intake, new springs, and tint are also things that I'm looking to do to the car in the near future assuming job stuff goes well. The car could use some rear speakers too (not that the front ones don't have enough volume for the car) so I'm looking into a decent set of rears with a small amp.

·
Registered
1999 RSti
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got some good new and some bad news. I went to install a 20mm rear sway that I just picked up but apparently one of the previous owners had already installed one. Also, the Whiteline bushings that I ordered form it where apparently the front, not rear.

Does anyone have experience with what upgrades would affect the suspension best at this point? Should I pursue springs, endlinks, a bigger swaybar, or something else?

·
Registered
1999 2.5rs rbp
230 Posts
really clean looks like amazing condition! looks like you need an exhuast tho if you dont have one allready

·
Registered
1999 RSti
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank ya! I'm saving the exhaust upgrade until adding it will open up a bit more power.

·
Registered
1999 RSti
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't get any pictures yet, but I installed a Cosmo cai a few days ago. The intake wasn't intended for large immediate gains so much as a supporting mod for larger things that I have planned, such as cams.

This sucker is loud! You don't hear much until you reach 4-4.5k, but then it roars. I don't really feel a loss in low end with the intake. The high end feels like its harder and pulls quicker. I'm not sure if I was up for a new air filter anyway, but there definitely is improvement there. I would recommend this intake, its definitely a solid deal.

·
Registered
1999 RSti
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did my suspension last night- Prokit springs on Agx's. Wow, the handling is amazing, and that's on tires that are on the end of their lives. Install was pretty trying. With 2 hours running out for a replacement tophat, it ended up being a ~13 hour ordeal. All in all it was totally worth it: the car looks amazing and handles like a damn good time. The ride is bumpy now, but I have the struts on the most stiff setting.

Pics to come!

·
Registered
1999 RSti
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh god I've been such a slacker with school and work going on :screwy:

I have Hellas installed behind the grille thanks to Jason, Stromung single-tip by way of the same gentleman, rear Pioneer speakers, a 4 channel amp, and Conti DWS tires.

Gonna have some huge things going on within the next month or so...
:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

·
Registered
1999 RSti
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turned in my last exam yesterday so its time to catchup with the outside world

My baby got out of the icu yesterday, got tons of new goodies...got a few pics too. 01rs25 being the superhero that he is helped me along the process of installing a new Exedy clutch, Group N motor mounts, and last but not least Delta 2000 grind cams :D Woooweee those cams are fun. I look forward to learning how to squeeze all of the go that I can out of my new powerband. Its really fun-a bit more peppy under 3.5k, but roars after that point. It took me a bit off guard the first time I opened it up...I've gotta keep an eye on that. The mounts seem to add a bit of firmness to the car, but they're certainly bearable. You can really see the energy go into the drivetrain opposed to being absorbed into the bushings (the car rocks back and forth when idling).

The car feels awesome! I still have to get used to the feeling of a new clutch but I see good things in the future. Everyone loves the lumpy idle I've acquired too. I even got nods from two pickup truck drivers today

Definitely glad that I did the cams and the mounts. I'm super indebted to Jason for all of the hard work he put in helping me.

Attachments

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
I dunno if you're running the air filter they gave you from that Cosmo intake, but in general, they don't filtrate as good as other brands. I've even heard of some cheap filter brands like that imploding on themselves and such. The intake itself is good though.. you just might want to think about a different filter for safe sake.

·
Registered
2000, Impreza 2.5RS, Silve 4DR
337 Posts
Do you like the Contindental DWS tires? I am about to get new tires and those are the ones i'm leaning towards.

Nice car though!

·
Registered
1999 RSti
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really like them! They've been amazing in snow and rain so far, couldn't get the tires to spin at all. The soft sidewall is a bit of a downside but running a higher psi helps counter much of it

1 - 20 of 139 Posts