Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was wondering what are the downsides(if any) of having a bigger rsb than a fsb, like for example a 24mm rear and a 22mm front. I was surfing around to find an answer and i think i found one on nasioc; this guy said bigger is not always better, and said something about emergency situations with a bigger rsb but i dont know if thats a correct answer. give me your feedback. THANKS!!!!!!

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
My rear is wrx, front is original. Better larger in back IMO. I've been told the same by others as well.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Generally keeping them the same is most neutral. A little bigger like that in the back isn't "bad"... it's just different. Maybe oversteering a little more than neutral. I see no problem with it... it won't be like crazy.

·
Banned
4,588 Posts
I have perrin 25mm rear sway bar with stock front impreza L front sway. I love that oversteer snap.

·
Registered
2012 Audi S4
1,954 Posts
lol i just wrote up something on this 2 mins ago.....

well i had just installed a Whiteline 22-24mm AFSB and having similar experiences. my settings on my bars are at 24mm in the front and 22mm in the rear.

i should mention that i have Tein Coilovers, Tein Front strut, Whiteline front and rear sways(with endlinks), and 17x7 Toyo T1R's, Work CR Kai wheels

what alot of the concerns about having a bigger bar in the front will cause understeer, and this is true to a certain extent. it will cause understeer but ONLY AT THE LIMITS. and since the limits of what the car can do have been raised, this is only a problem if you are pushing the absolute limits of the vehicle. ( got from NASIOC)

However my experiences after the 1st test drive is that the steering felt heavier, but still very controllable. However for the understeer "problem", i barely experienced that at all. for general agressive driving i actually found that the car was more nuetral and was able to take the lines where i wanted. And if i took a corner near or at the limits the front tires would start to hop and skidd across. now this got me thinking on how and why its doing this, but i liked it.....simply because AWD will allow the fronts to slip but the rear power will push the car though the corner. and really reducing my understeer but still some present.

·
Registered
2000 subaru impreza 2.5RS SRP
447 Posts
I have perrin 25mm rear sway bar with stock front impreza L front sway. I love that oversteer snap.
me too!

that plus my coilovers and strut tower bars makes it a blast to drive!! so much more responsive and when i was running 255 tires it was like sex on wheels in the turns...

man i love my car...:p

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol i just wrote up something on this 2 mins ago.....

well i had just installed a Whiteline 22-24mm AFSB and having similar experiences. my settings on my bars are at 24mm in the front and 22mm in the rear.

i should mention that i have Tein Coilovers, Tein Front strut, Whiteline front and rear sways(with endlinks), and 17x7 Toyo T1R's, Work CR Kai wheels

what alot of the concerns about having a bigger bar in the front will cause understeer, and this is true to a certain extent. it will cause understeer but ONLY AT THE LIMITS. and since the limits of what the car can do have been raised, this is only a problem if you are pushing the absolute limits of the vehicle. ( got from NASIOC)

However my experiences after the 1st test drive is that the steering felt heavier, but still very controllable. However for the understeer "problem", i barely experienced that at all. for general agressive driving i actually found that the car was more nuetral and was able to take the lines where i wanted. And if i took a corner near or at the limits the front tires would start to hop and skidd across. now this got me thinking on how and why its doing this, but i liked it.....simply because AWD will allow the fronts to slip but the rear power will push the car though the corner. and really reducing my understeer but still some present.
your setup sounds really nice thanks for the feedback it really cleared everything up.

1 last thing, when you get the front wheels slipping, what do you mean by the rear power will push through the corner? like just the grip from the back or the slip also in the rear creating oversteer to counter the understeer?

·
Banned
4,588 Posts
me too!

that plus my coilovers and strut tower bars makes it a blast to drive!! so much more responsive and when i was running 255 tires it was like sex on wheels in the turns...

man i love my car...:p
You should try that setup with r.comp tires. You can pretty much go full throttle in a sweeper or any smooth long corner. The back end will start sliding and you just floor it. It feels like your on snow but your not. Big difference from switching from falken azenis rt-615's to kumho v710's with the 25mm rear sway bar rear. I love that oversteer. Most people wouldn't think my wagon can take corners but i show them what's up. My wagon actually has more oversteer than my 98 S14.

·
Registered
2.5RS Rally Car
2,066 Posts
A lot of oversteer is not necessarily a good thing. Sliding around corners is typically not the fastest way around them... fun, but not fast :p That said, I don't think we're talking about extremes here... so it's mostly up to personal taste and driving style.

A 'snappy' rear end can be a bit dangerous too, not too bad in our cars, but can be quite deadly in a FWD car since you can't do much once the back really starts coming around.

·
Registered
00' & 01' 2.5 RS sedans
191 Posts
i have 22mm whiteline in the front and 20mm sti in the rear and my car handles AMAZING! not to much oversteer just enough, i also have a "touring allignment" which helps

·
Banned
4,588 Posts
What is a "touring alignment?" I haven't heard of such a thing. What are the specs of it?

·
Registered
2012 Audi S4
1,954 Posts
your setup sounds really nice thanks for the feedback it really cleared everything up.

1 last thing, when you get the front wheels slipping, what do you mean by the rear power will push through the corner? like just the grip from the back or the slip also in the rear creating oversteer to counter the understeer?

yea that is basically it, with the slip in the front it allows the rear to push the car through like a rwd...but not. and as mentioned before it is not the quickest way through a corner, however very enjoyable.

ima see how this setup works for my 1st autox. but if i feel my times could be improved i may alter my sway bars and find the most benaficial setup for my driving style. and adjust my coilovers too

+1 for adjustable bars and dampers lol

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea that is basically it, with the slip in the front it allows the rear to push the car through like a rwd...but not. and as mentioned before it is not the quickest way through a corner, however very enjoyable.

ima see how this setup works for my 1st autox. but if i feel my times could be improved i may alter my sway bars and find the most benaficial setup for my driving style. and adjust my coilovers too

+1 for adjustable bars and dampers lol
what endlinks and teins do you run on? monoflex?

·
Registered
00' & 01' 2.5 RS sedans
191 Posts
What is a "touring alignment?" I haven't heard of such a thing. What are the specs of it?
ill find the link, im pretty sure its -1 degree camber on all 4 wheels. the tops sit in just a little bit more than the bottom

·
wood grain grippin'
v2 STi wagon
3,399 Posts
i rawk a 22mm front bar with a 17mm rear bar.

my car does what i tell it to. it rulz

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs BDP
2,079 Posts
27mm front, 19mm in the rear. This was coming from a 19mm front. I can say that the bigger front sway makes the steering feel much more responsive and heavier. Initial turn in was improved because at first, if i went into a turn too aggressively, my car would just dive and plow. Now with the new front bar the front seems to tuck in more than before and the car holds grip MUCH better.

A bigger rear sway gives you snap oversteer. Can be very dangerous if you don't know how to control it.

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,273 Posts
20mm front and rear. DCCD tranny really makes the rear come out. 8kg/mm coilovers to control body roll.

·
Premium Member
01/07 RSTi
942 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts