Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
yep. you heard me.
‘18 E63s AMG wagon & 10 Subarus
6,473 Posts
it probably will. not only will the 225/55 be wider, but it will also have a larger overall diameter, because the second number of the tire size is the sidewall height measure as the percentage of the width.

if you want the same overall diameter of tire as a 205/55/16 but you want a wider tire, get a 225/50/16. they are the same diameter

·
Registered
1998 Impreza Wagon Black 5sp.
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a stock 98 wagon, my mods do not effect the suspension at all, that is why they are not listed. I understand what the numbers mean elislider, thanks tho. I meant, what are the largest tires to put under a 98 wagon with wrx wheels, which are 16x6.5, the 16 being inches in diameter, and the 6.5 being inches in width :). I am mostly concerned with street tires, as I will wait to get the a/t's along with a forester strut combo. I don't mind a larger diameter either, as there is plenty of room in the wheel well with stock suspension. I am mostly looking for a larger contact patch. Plus 50 series tires can be hard to find in all makes.

·
Registered
02RS RIP, 91Stealth, 05STi
1,778 Posts
The only thing I remember reading was 225/50/R16 on the 02-04 WRX rims is the biggest you can go buy they look huge

·
yep. you heard me.
‘18 E63s AMG wagon & 10 Subarus
6,473 Posts
I have a stock 98 wagon, my mods do not effect the suspension at all, that is why they are not listed. I understand what the numbers mean elislider, thanks tho. I meant, what are the largest tires to put under a 98 wagon with wrx wheels, which are 16x6.5, the 16 being inches in diameter, and the 6.5 being inches in width :). I am mostly concerned with street tires, as I will wait to get the a/t's along with a forester strut combo. I don't mind a larger diameter either, as there is plenty of room in the wheel well with stock suspension. I am mostly looking for a larger contact patch. Plus 50 series tires can be hard to find in all makes.
well clearly you dont understand what the numbers mean otherwise you wouldnt be asking. for wrx wheels, 205/55/60 is the stock size. i couldnt imagine youd be able to go any wider than 225 on a stock offset 16x6.5 wheel and NOT have:
1) tire rubbing on strut (with stock-style struts)
2) tire being too bulged to perform very well

like i said, the only size i would recommend besides 205/55 is 225/50, because it will be the same overall diameter, just a bit wider for the contact patch, however it will be a bit more bulgy, so you might lose some of the sidewall rigidity since the tire sidewall will be bulged out a tiny bit. however with a good quality tire, the increased performance of the wider tire and good tread will more than offset any sidewall issues

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.