Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS coupe (9/01-1/04)
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my dilemma: When I bought my car (used) it handled like a go-kart. 17" wheels w/ 40-series tires, 2" drop Tein springs and KYB adjustable AGX shocks, front & rear strut braces, and a Subaru 18mm swaybar. Really nice on smooth pavement, but really uncomfortable on anything else (crappy roads, dirt, etc...).

I want something more go-anywhere, do-anything friendly. I want some off-road capabilities (like the car's built for), and I'm sick of feeling like I'm riding in a lowered car on long freeway commutes. The other day a girl mentioned that my car rode rough, so that kinda spurred me to change things too. Gotta keep the ladies happy, ya know?

So I sold my teins and heavy bling-bling rims, and went back to stock springs, KYB AGX struts, and 16" WRX wheels w/ Bridgestone RE730 tires. Still have the strut braces & 18mm rear sway bar. But now there's a considerable amount of body roll, and I want to get rid of it without losing any ground clearance. I'd also like to keep the ride somewhat plush, but anything's better than Tein springs on the 10 freeway.

My question is this; will huge swaybars (like the whiteline XRD: 25-28mm front / 24-29mm rear) work well with stock springs? Has anyone tried anything like that? I heard Templar was running some big swaybars, but I wonder how they are for just cruising around or if they're too noisy / harsh.

Any advice would be appreciated.
thanks,
-scott-

·
Registered
2000 Blue Ridge Pearl Subaru I
294 Posts
You need less body roll but not so stiff like Teins? Replace the stock springs with Eibachs or Ground Controls. The Eibachs were made with the AGX's in mind. The Ground Controls are a bit stiffer than the Eibachs. The Eibach/KYB AGX combo will give you a nice smooth ride, but not too harsh on rough roads like the Teins.

A bigger rear sway bar will only create a neutral or oversteer situation. Won't help with body roll. 18mm is great for the stock suspension, but 20-22 is better for an upgraded setup.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
oops....Dan, you're mistaken. The rear bar will help control roll. That's why they're called anti-sway bars. :eek:

You can get a more balanced ride and cornering ability by trying different size bars with different rate springs. The problem will eventually rise when you try too stiff of a rear bar with too soft of a spring. You'll lose traction on uneven surfaces because the independent-ness of the suspension will be lost to the big bar.

Search around for different spring rates and different size bars. You'll have to make some sort of comprimise to find the balance you want.

Serious offroaders usually have quick disconnects on their swaybars to quickly unhook them for offroading use. They need the added bar to keep from rolling off the road at every turn, but can't use them when the road gets uneven and all tires need to be pulling at once.

You changed your car around for a woman? I hope it tastes good, cuz that's pretty drastic. (IMHO)

·
Registered
2000 Blue Ridge Pearl Subaru I
294 Posts
Whoops, hehe, I meant to say that it won't help much with body roll. By itself, that is. I've been using an 18mm bar on the stock suspension for 2 years now and I can tell you that it doesn't help much with body roll, still a lot of that. But a bigger bar coupled with an upgraded suspension (springs and struts) will help get rid of a vast majority of the body roll.

·
Registered
53 Posts
All you have to do to disconnect the rear bar is unbolt one of the endlinks from the bar.

I've got a whiteline 18-20-22mm adjustable bar and I just love it. I'm running otherwise stock suspension, and the bar works quite well. I like being able to pick my bar rate (I found 20 works quite well, gets you just a hint of oversteer). If you do go to a bigger bar, make sure you upgrade the sway bar mounts. Its quite common to break the stock mounts with 20mm and up swaybars.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just to comment here, a few months ago I rode in a car that had the full Whiteline suspension setup; adjustable front & rear swaybars, endlinks, strut bars, anti-lift kit, springs, and probably some bushings. I loved the way it handled: smooth but without body roll. I want my car to ride like that only with stock springs for more ground clearance. I'm hoping that the stiffer swaybars will make up for the taller & softer springs, but I want to know if anyone has had any bad things to say about big swaybars.

-scott-

PS storm, the girl's comment was just the final straw. I wanted to change it before that (after riding in the Whiteline car), and the girl just helped me make up my mind. Kinda ironic: a girl helped influence me to spend money on my car, hehe.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have an Addco 25mm front bar and a whiteline 20-24 rear set to 24. I have had many people ride with me and tell me that my car has better turn in and grip than any Impreza they have ever ridden in. I am on Version 5 struts with 5 Zigen springs. This combo yields a very unforgiving ride quality, but handling is good. I feel that the SPT springs would be a much better match, but I am really waiting for the Ohlins coil overs to come out.

Anyway, I feel that the big swaybar combination is the way to go with our cars. When people mention that race cars use either very small or no sway bars, remember; Imprezas are not high dollar, purpose built race cars, they are road cars and most of us can't afford a $2000 -$12,000 PER CORNER suspension.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Templar, how do you like the Whiteline bar? I've read that they're noisy or that they clunk or something? Have you had problems with this?

-scott-

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've got a whiteline bar as well, and I've found that as long as you keep the bushings lubed it's totally quiet. When my bar started "clunking" it was because there was a problem (I broke an endlink).

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've had a Whiteline adjustable set on 18 for about 5 months, no noise at all. I did lube the new bushings very well before putting the bar in. I'll be adjusting to the 20 mm setting soon, 18 just isn't quite enough.

It's real nice being able to set the amount of oversteer and body roll without having to spend another hundred bucks or so.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Imprezas are not high dollar, purpose built race cars, they are road cars and most of us can't afford a $2000 -$12,000 PER CORNER suspension.
except the WRC car. that's more like a WRX MSRP at each corner :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yo Dawg here some suggestions... GET SEAT CUSIONS FOR U AND YO GIRLS FAT A**ES!!! If ya girl can't ride in a Subie widt' da "BLing-Blings" Then Dump the Subie, TAKE da "BLing-Blings" and roll in a Caddie. And If dat dont "satisfi" yo girl, when ya take her ta Red Lobster make her pay fo da meal, den STEP :run: , YO.

U don't need dat girl givin ya smak about yo ride, ya done spent too much loot on da Caddie ta please her. :checkit: Go take yo "Bling-blings", get back your Subie, and then you role widt us.

So Player dat would be yo plan :cool:

DANG I'm A poet :sunny:

P.S. I'm stupid yo. Try some Eibachs or H&R's with Kyb standards or Sti struts (even better) Sometimes harshness comes from the strut being to stiff. I have a 20mm Whiteline "front" swaybars, with modified suspension now. The really do hammer out the body role issue but with stock springs and struts it was a bad combo. My rear was 18mm but I sold it for 20-24mm adjustable.

My best combos are:
19mm (stock) front, 20mm rear with stock suspension.
20mm front, 20-22mm rear with modded suspension.
Anything higher is not fun on the street anymore only offroad with a seamwelded frame ;)

Good luck
EL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts