Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
99 2.5rs project
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah passenger side wheel well. Shop said it was clearly in a collision, and the frame being bent there is causing the front wheel to rub.

·
Registered
2009 BL5, 2001 RS
3,472 Posts
Ok first of all when you asked me if the car had frame damage, I told you not from what I can tell. But I never took the car apart. Yes I had it on the lift at work to do a quick oil change and bring it back home. But I didn't take hours to completely sit there and inspec the car for every little flaw. It's 15 years old.

Secondly, I told my brother to tell u up front about the corner lights when u got there but that message wasn't relayed to you. And I apologize for that. BUT My brother told me you came and looked right at the corner lights and didn't say anything about them not being jdm. Again, he was supposed to tell u they were not included and he obviously missed that. U txt me about it and I said I would be more than happy to send them to you for 100. I don't give my stuff away.

3rd. No one forced a gun to your head to buy the car. Asked me questions that I answered. U decided to drive 6 hours to get the car. U came and were "extremely pleased" according to my brother with no complaints whatsoever. This sounds like a really bad case of buyers remorse to be. And I'm sorry to say there's nothing I'm going to do for u. You have given me **** about not being about to register the car for days and u finally realized u were wrong and that in fact u could register it. I will not even go into that right now.

I honestly saw no frame damange. I was not looking for any, I've only had the car for a month if that.

I really have no other comments on the situation. I've been a member on here since 08 and have nothing but positive reviews. Except for 1 time with a guy in Philly or something I sold him a high flow cat that was gutted and I didn't realize it. I have plenty of people on here, other forums, and people that don't even use the forums that can vouch for me that I am a good seller. I have no worries about this situation because I did nothing wrong here.

I'm done

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
I'm not defending either side, but I do know that will be cake for an alignment/frame shop. Both of my imprezas had damage in the same area but driver side, and it was only a couple hundred for them to pull it out. I wish neither of my cars would have had damage but things like that can be tough to spot when you are looking at the entire car, unless you deal with it regularly.

·
Enthusiast
2001 SRP L
2,513 Posts
I'm not going defend anyone but if I'm buying a car off somebody I would want to deal with the person that the title is under. I would personally inspect the car and not having to deal with "word of mouth" OP clearly didn't check the car thoroughly enough, as well as the seller. Obviously if JT were to tried and hide it he would have covered it up. But he didn't. So let it go through inspection/ emissions and depending on if there is a Law like MA does and it can't pass inspection, JT has to return money or fix the issue. So there you go, my .02 cents

·
Registered
99 2.5rs project
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You're right, I was pleased. But that's because I was assured I was getting a car in good working order. I even asked your brother if there was any frame damage to which he said there wasn't, and then I asked if it would have any trouble passing inspection to which he replied "Yeah my brother works with a master inspector who looked over the car so it's all good to go." If that was untrue, maybe you should have had better representation of the car when selling it. And if that was true, then the inspector sure as **** would have seen the frame damage.

Ignoring all of that, I still find it EXTREMELY unlikely that you were completely unaware of the damage. After the initial owner of the car sold it, it went through 2 auto shops and was finally sold to you. I find it highly unlikely the auto shops didn't know about the frame damage and sold it to you without you knowing.

·
Registered
99 AW Coupe
723 Posts
EDIT: WOW I'm so bored at work. Didn't realize that it's an old post haha

I would chalk this up as a car buying lesson.

I'm not sure if money is an issue for you, but $4400 is a lot of money. I wouldn't take anyone's word on an item if I'm spending that much money. Since you purchased from a private party, it's your duty to inspect the car before handing over the cash. You keep mentioning that "anyone who looks under the car would notice a bent frame"...well...did you look? Yes, you trusted the seller, but he's not a car dealership. He's not required to do an XX number car point inspection before sale. Had you seen the damaged frame, you would've had all the leverage you needed to a) purchase the car for very cheap b) decide to walk away even though you drove so far.

Secondly, avoid proxy sales. Seems like his brother doesn't know much about cars. Or, because of his time constraint (getting to work) he forgot/neglected to tell you about the JDM corners. Once again, you're the one spending a lot of money. Take the time to inspect, or research a local shop to inspect it. Hell, you could've inspected the car for 1 hour while waiting for JT to show up. If the seller wants your money, they'll be patient with you, if NOT, then there's a red flag.

I'm not condoning or siding with JT here. IMO, it sounds like he didn't know about the damage. However, I think that some type of action should be taken here. He trusted his brother to sell and negotiate for him, so he should take responsibility for him not relaying any info regarding the corner lights.

What's your state's law about buying/selling cars? In CA, it's the seller's duty to smog the car before sale. Granted, this doesn't happen all the time, but if it does fail smog, some sellers will work with the buyer to fix the issue...while others tell you to eat sht lol.

Best of luck, hopefully it can be fixed.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts