1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
99 2.5rs project
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f171/t213670-1999-2-5-rs-5-speed.html

Thread has been modified by user JT.

JT advertised a car for 4700 that he stated was clean. He also said it had JDM corner lights, and even included pictures of the car with the JDM corner lights. I pm'd him asking if it had been in any accidents or if there was any frame damage, he responds saying no reported accidents (true) and no frame damage. I asked if he'd sell the car for 4400 since I'd travel a long ways to get it and he agreed. However what he did not tell me is that he would be taking off the JDM corners and wanted to charge me 100 extra for them, though that message was not relayed AT ALL to me and I now have the yellow OEM style corners on the car.

But far worse than that is that this car has CLEARLY been in an accident. And has significant frame damage. JT works for Subaru, and even if you know nothing about cars, if you look under the car you should be able to tell. This frame damage will be extremely costly to fix, if it's even fixable, and yet I was sold this car under the impression that the frame was undamaged.

·
Registered
99 2.5rs project
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had driven all the way up from MD to get the car and the timeframe was kind of short. I met JTs brother who had to leave for work shortly after we arrived, and JT was still at work and after traveling all the way up there we did not want to wait around another hour for him to be home. We were assured the frame was fine, and considering JT works for Subaru and sells cars frequently, he would have inspected the car and noticed the frame damage. If I had been more local I would have taken it to a mechanic to get it up on a lift and inspected but it just wasn't really in our time frame.

·
Registered
02 wrx / 01 RS coupe
28 Posts
Clean title means nothing. I smashed my old STi into a wall and traded it in to the dealer while it was still at the shop getting major body work done to it. They sold it a few months later under a clean title, if the shop does not report it or is not regulated you can get a destruction derby car with a clean title.

I am not defending the seller, but you are also at fault for not doing your research before buying a vehicle.

·
Registered
99 2.5rs project
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I agree I am at fault still. It's just really shitty for him to specifically tell me there was no frame damage when there clearly was. Especially when trying to sell the car for the price it was.

·
Registered
98RS (Unicorn), 05 GSXR 1000
733 Posts
Its pretty damn clean for 4K... I wouldn't be complaining... I've sold cars without knowing issues about them. How are you going to immaturely assume he knew?

At one point I bought a car and 2 weeks later a caliper brake pad dropped out and lost all braking. Was i mad, yes, did i call him out, yes. But the end result was he didn't realize it and neither did I. So i fixed the issue and let it go (You need to watch the movie frozen)

Get frustrated, fix the issue, move on.

·
Registered
99 2.5rs project
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He sent me pictures of the undercarriage of the car when it was up on a lift. The frame damage isn't visible in the picture, but you'd have to be pretty blind not to see it. Anyone who had the car up on the lift would have seen it and it would have been pointed out. Not to mention if you cut the wheel all the way you can hear the tire rub on it. I highly doubt someone who works with cars and is a pretty reputable seller on the forums would not have noticed this issue.

If it was something small like a brake caliper like you said, I would be more than fine with it, it's the price that comes with buying a car this old. But this car had clearly been in an accident and I'm not even sure if the issue can be fixed, which is my main frustration.

·
Registered
1999 RSTi coupe
402 Posts
This is what the future brings for this thread.....

JT will be defended because he is a regular. You will be criticized because you aren't.

·
Registered
1999 RSTi coupe
402 Posts
They're on a car. Hence, they are used. They really can't be considered new just used in "like new" condition. But yes, nonetheless

·
Registered
99 2.5rs project
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I'm not trying to totally throw JT under the bus here, but upon researching the forum it said this was the first step of taking action towards situations like these.

JT was a cool dude and seems to know his ****, which is why I find it very hard to believe he had no clue about the frame damage.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,852 Posts
Its pretty damn clean for 4K... I wouldn't be complaining... I've sold cars without knowing issues about them. How are you going to immaturely assume he knew?
plain and simple...it's not a clean car if the frame is bent. just means someone did some work to make it look pretty on the outside to hide a bent frame.

At one point I bought a car and 2 weeks later a caliper brake pad dropped out and lost all braking. Was i mad, yes, did i call him out, yes. But the end result was he didn't realize it and neither did I. So i fixed the issue and let it go
this is just a retard thing. which..i can't even..what? how the hell? for a brake pad to actually fall out..it has to be grinding. which generates a feeling in the pedal..and you can HEAR it. for that to happen it has to have been neglected for quite some time. there is no way in hell the seller didn't know this. and there is no way in hell i would believe you didn't hear/feel it.

both of your items are moot points that have zero relevance to the thread.

·
Premium Member
2.5RS
8,441 Posts
Can the picture of the "damage" be explained a little more.

I don't quite understand what I am seeing there..

Is that the Front bumper beam area/plastic engine underguard/oil pan area?
or the rear subframe area?

·
Registered
Subaru
321 Posts
this is just a retard thing. which..i can't even..what? how the hell? for a brake pad to actually fall out..it has to be grinding. which generates a feeling in the pedal..and you can HEAR it. for that to happen it has to have been neglected for quite some time. there is no way in hell the seller didn't know this. and there is no way in hell i would believe you didn't hear/feel it.
Unrelated to the OP but I once had a weird "floaty" brake pedal feel in an old car of mine. It still stopped fine but it felt like it was pulsating during stopping. It didn't make any noise either. I immediately went home and pulled it apart. Upon sliding the caliper up the pad fell out in pieces. The back plate of the pad was intact but the meat of it was broken up into three large pieces. It turned out to be a manufacturing defect and I got new pads for free.

Anyway, my point is that I even had a broken up brake pad and it didn't just "fall out." I don't see how that's possible at all unless the original owner used the wrong pads or cut the side tabs off or something. Even then the pads have nowhere to go if they come loose.

OP, that sucks. Good luck with it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts