Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
03 sonic yellow bugeye
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a swap on my brothers 00 rs and was curious on what trans would be better to use? I know the rs has short gears and generally with turbo you would want longer gears but i drove a friends wrx that had ra gears i think that were short and it was fun to drive. Also which trans is stronger and has a better chance of holding up? Someone told me recently the gears are better in the rs trans and i know how bad wrx trannies are. Lots of friends had almost every gear go and syncros go bad. So if you can give me more info on this please let me know thanks.

·
Registered
03 sonic yellow bugeye
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright thanks for the reply i think i am going to end up using the rs should be real fun with the short gearing

·
The Thread Stopper
11 WRX, Matte black
5,783 Posts
I stuck w/ the RS trans. I was putting ~300tq/hp to the ground. I drove it aggressively (but intelligently) for a year and zero issues. I did upgrade the clutch, but if you want a failing point, that would be the best one...a set of gears costs more labor than a simple clutch swap.

The gears in the RS ARE better suited for the EJ205. But, the mileage+increase in torque could present an opportunity for shorter lifespan. The stories you hear of WRX "glass trannies" is from numerous people not understanding the dynamics of torque distrobution in a symmetrical AWD vehicle. That and they simply don't know how to launch the car. Gimme a brand new, stock 2.5i and I can rip the gears in half...same as if I were driving a 400 whp WRX.

·
Registered
03 sonic yellow bugeye
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no here is the other dilemma the rs trans has 150k miles and the subaru one has 4ok but idk how it is i only drove it for a few hundred feet......would it still be better to use the rs one?

·
Premium Member
98 swapped 2.5rs Rbp and CF
552 Posts
Use the rs one until you can find a 2005 Legacy Gt tranny. Get that one then you can keep the rs rear end and it is pretty strong replacement tranny. You can also use the rs clutch and flywheel so if you have upgraded parts you can use them, or if you buy upgrade parts for your rs tranny.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Just remember if you swap in a wrx tranny you need to swap in the rear as well. If you use the 2005 gt tranny it ahs a 4.11 final drive so you can keep all the rs stuff and it makes life easier.

·
Registered
2000 Outback Sedan
13 Posts
So I just swapped a '07 STI into my RS and about a week ago I started to get a gear whine like a jet engine.....The Option for the 2005 LGT swap sounds great are there any hitches with the install that you know of?

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
No problems with mine. I am using an ACT clutch and prolite flywheel for the rs and everything is working great!! I went through 3 rs trannies before this( I wasn't being an ass either) One went during a acceleration in second gear and the other 2 went during 3rd gear) I like the leg tranny and it has great gearing with my swap!

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Blu
49 Posts
On the subject of clutches, in my recently swapped RS I used the WRX tranny and rear since it supposedly had a newer clutch. Now the clutch is slipping and I'm considering putting the RS tranny and rear diff in with an upgraded clutch. Can I use the WRX flywheel or do I need to use the RS flywheel with an upgraded RS clutch? I hope I can use the WRX wheel since I sold the RS engine a few weeks back. If not, I can get a better flywheel as well. Also, any clutch recommendations? I had a nice spec stage three once in another vehicle that bit hard but would also slip nicely when needed.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am almost 100% sure that the rs clutch will not work on the wrx transmission because of the clutch type. The RS uses a Push type clutch and the wrx uses a Pull. Or vice versa...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am almost 100% sure that the rs clutch will not work on the wrx transmission because of the clutch type. The RS uses a Push type clutch and the wrx uses a Pull. Or vice versa...
Yeah, the clutches are definitely not interchangeable, I understand that from installing the WRX transmission. WRX is pull, RS is push. I still have the RS transmission and clutch bits, so it won't be a problem to swap. Really its just the slave cylinder that's different since it mounts in a different spot and the WRX clutch MC is a little larger.

My question is that will a clutch made for an RS mount on a WRX flywheel?

·
Premium Member
2000 Impreza 2.5rs stm
259 Posts
i know that a wrx clutch will not mount on a rs flywheel, so i would say no. i'll be back in raleigh this weekend, lemme know if you need an extra hand

·
Registered
49 Posts
i know that a wrx clutch will not mount on a rs flywheel, so i would say no. i'll be back in raleigh this weekend, lemme know if you need an extra hand
That sucks since I sold the engine and could have kept the flywheel. Looks like I'll be looking for both parts. Thanks for offering to help, but I doubt I'll have parts delivered by the weekend. I'll be fixing my Nissan diesel truck and my four wheeler if you're itching to wrench on something though.

·
Registered
03 sonic yellow bugeye
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i may be purchasing a lighter rs flywheel so i may sell my stock one soon ill let you know

1 - 16 of 16 Posts