Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my car up on the hoist recently, and after 3 years the bottom of it is really starting to show it's road scars. Some paint was even starting to flake up.

Any ideas on how to delay further damage? Or have a removable piece of something that can be replaceable?

(Ya, it's fibreglass, but it's all that's really made for the small fog light bumper...)

·
Banned
4,588 Posts
You could probably use 3M bumper protectant. Its a clear sticker that wraps around the whole lip and front bumper.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could probably use 3M bumper protectant. Its a clear sticker that wraps around the whole lip and front bumper.
Will that scrape off though?

·
Banned
4,588 Posts
I'm not sure because I've never used it before. I hear that its very strong and does protects against rock chips. I think you have to find an authorized dealer to install the 3M bumper protective tape for you.

·
Premium Member
2007 FXT Sport
4,597 Posts
Honestly I think the best way to protect a lip is to reform your driving habits. Don't put the lip in a situation to get pwned.

·
Registered
01 stm sedan w/v4 sugar
3,499 Posts
You could repaint it with color-matched rhino liner. Z32 lips and skirts have something similar.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS and
438 Posts
Gotta agree with Major Johnson. Bad habits really do kill the car quickly. Also extra coat of clean spray does help too.

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Yeah don't pull up so close to curbs, that's most of it right there. :) I try not to, but I still make a mistake occasionally. And I don't have my lip, yet!!

A couple years ago, my front bumper was replaced and of course the paint was new and all. A couple days later, I pulled into a parking space and.......... whoops. :p A little too far forward, scraped off some paint on the lower left. So it's easy to do. The Ver.5/6 (and Bakemono Imports replica) lip are very small, so they don't lower much. The Prodrive P1 lip is a bit lower. Aftermarket ones, well, they vary.

Mostly just be more careful whenever you can. I'm of the mindset that if the car is a daily driver, you shouldn't use crazy lips and low bodykits. It's just a bad idea and very risky, for all the money that's spent. But that's me.

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,239 Posts
anything 5 inches away from 90mph concrete will get chewed up, sooner or later.

the 3M product is more for hoods, and chippable steel components. But it does come for bumpers.

I'd recommend having the lip stripped, and repainted and insisting on adhesion promoter (such as bulldog) before and in the primer, and flex agent (plasticizer) in the clearcoat.

this will help the paint hold onto the plastic, and help the clear flex and avoid chipping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts