Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Best way to launch?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ChrisM 
#1 ·
I've got a bone stock 2000 RS, 25k miles... OEM clutch, flywheel, pressure plate and transmission... whats the best way to launch, from just say a stoplight stop? I'm a little nervous about popping the clutch with the AWD, don't want to slip anything... maybe someone has some advice.

I'm gonna be upgrading soon to a lightened flywheel with ACT clutch and pressure plate to handle my future boost.

Scott
www.SMPolishing.com

#3 ·
Yeah, if you want to blow things up. :rolleyes:

Let's slightly rephrase that, if you don't mind...

1. Rev engine to 5k
2. Smoothly, yet quickly, (maybe over 1-2 seconds) let the clutch out
3. Hang on.

If you just take your foot off the clutch, or otherwise slam it to the top of the pedal travel, you are asking for trouble.

#4 ·
I've dropped the clutch from 6k before and it was fine. The front tires just light up a bit. That being said I was really pissed and wouldn't recommend you do that esp. if you are on sticky tires. Just don't think your car will explode if it happens. It's not a better launch anyway. I used to street race and would dump the clutch around 4k. Then I realized slipping at 4k gave a beter launch and was better for my car. I vote for a 4k slip. RS25.com, why do you think 5k is better than 4k?

JC

#5 ·
5k puts you higher in the RPM range, which of course will drop when you dump, then you can gas it back up. 4k can bring you down below the power band, or at least towards the lower end of it. That's all.

Of course, I've blown things up at 6k, so I don't recommend that! :eek:

#6 ·
ok well back in the day when my ride was still new... I'd do the 4-5k feathered launch....

now with 36k on my baby I rock the 3k feathered launch... my power kicks in @ 3200-5500 and anything after 5500 just sounds cool but not effective...

yea when I shift the revs will be nice and high but it doesn't work for me.... I need that 3200 power band for my ride... like anything not one car is alike so.... it may take awhile to figure out your car.

and just to say that I have a steady 15 flat for the 1/4 and with an N/A I feel is a pretty good...

#7 · (Edited)
now with 36k on my baby I rock the 3k feathered launch... my power kicks in @ 3200-5500 and anything after 5500 just sounds cool but not effective...
that is so true! :lol: after 5,500 it's just so damn loud, but nothing happens. damn N/A without high cams.

oh, another way i would highly not recommend, drop clutch while bouncing off rev limiter.

#8 ·
On occataion I launch by shoving my foot to the floor and just before it's about to hit redline, let up the clutch... not quite poping it, but not letting it slip too much either.

I don't recommend doing that though... :devil:

When I do "normal" lauches I do the 3500 slip.

On roads with little traction (wet, dirt, snow), I drop the clutch at full throttle and then feather the throttle betweet 80% to 100%. It's a thin line between spinning the wheels and not going anywhere, to spinning the wheels but still getting enough traction to move quickly. Second gear is much the same, I do the shift very quickly to keep the wheels spinning. Third gear is no wheel spin and your going 120km/h (75mph) in NO TIME!

Chris M.

Disclaimer: This post is for informational purposes only. I am not responsible for smoking clutches, broken gears or hitting the guy in front of you that you never thought you could catch up to :devil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.