Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ever since COVID lockdown started, I’ve had an itch to find an older Subaru as a “vintage” project and/or collector’s car. Almost went for a 1989 Subaru GL AWD turbo wagon, but decided I wanted something more sporty and drivable.

The other day, I was browsing Doug DeMuro’s CarsandBids.com for the first time. Came across this pristine 1999 2.5 RS Coupe, which sold last November (2020). This one being gone led me to wonder where the best place(s) would be to hunt for a 2.5 RS Coupe.

The classifieds on rs25.com are relatively sparse. I am always trolling local Craig’s List ads, but those are hit or miss. There’s always BringaTrailer.com and more recently CarsandBids.com.

Any other good places to look for a 2.5 RS Coupe?

·
Registered
104 Posts
RS25.com is probably the best place to find these cars. There are several in the classifieds right now in varying condition. These cars are hard to find and will only become more difficult to find going forward. Probably every other week someone posts a WTB thread looking for a clean, manual, RS coupe in running and driving condition. Such a clean example usually sells for $3500+ on here if you’re lucky enough to find one for sale. The best deals on these cars are most definitely on craigslist.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RS25.com is probably the best place to find these cars. There are several in the classifieds right now in varying condition.
Last posts in the classifieds are a month old or worse. And they’re inquiries from potential buyers that the sellers haven’t responded to. Don’t think that’s an encouraging sign, unfortunately. :confused:

I guess I’ll keep looking around on Craig’s list. I’ve seen them there before. And it’s not like I need a project car urgently, quite the opposite. ;)

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
149 Posts
Last posts in the classifieds are a month old or worse. And they’re inquiries from potential buyers that the sellers haven’t responded to. Don’t think that’s an encouraging sign, unfortunately. :confused:

I guess I’ll keep looking around on Craig’s list. I’ve seen them there before. And it’s not like I need a project car urgently, quite the opposite. ;)
Facebook Marketplace (the GC8 groups, particularly), in my experiences, has the highest rate of postings. If you aren't married to the idea of an RS and are willing to consider an L to later swap, you'll have a few more options (and the L's are certainly cheaper). The problem with Facebook Marketplace is the phrase "I know what I have" is used un-ironically very often. A complete rust bucket for $4,000, A completely built one for $20,000, etc. I'd say a coupe shows up maybe once per month on the groups on a good month. If you wanted a clean, largely unmodified one, I think you need to be ready to have no color preference and be ready to drop 6-8k without a lot of time to think.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Facebook Marketplace (the GC8 groups, particularly), in my experiences, has the highest rate of postings. If you aren't married to the idea of an RS and are willing to consider an L to later swap, you'll have a few more options (and the L's are certainly cheaper).
Thank you, md! That makes perfect sense. I stopped using FB when it got taken over by politics in the run-up to the 2016 election. So I missed the arrival of Marketplace and totally forgot it existed. Maybe it's time to come crawling back to Zuckerberg. :p

The problem with Facebook Marketplace is the phrase "I know what I have" is used un-ironically very often. A complete rust bucket for $4,000, A completely built one for $20,000, etc.
Yeah, the speculation and price-gauging is frustrating to me as an enthusiast. OTOH, it's somewhat understandable in a market where interest in non-European collectors cars is growing among "investors" (i.e. non-enthusiasts).

I'd say a coupe shows up maybe once per month on the groups on a good month. If you wanted a clean, largely unmodified one, I think you need to be ready to have no color preference and be ready to drop 6-8k without a lot of time to think.
You hit the nail on the head! Other than supply, I am my own biggest obstacle. I really have to make up my mind on whether I'd like an "affordable" project or a turn-key car at market price. :giggle:

Speaking of which, there is a 96 Brighton Coupe (5 Speed, 122k miles) on the "Subaru Impreza GC8 GF8 Classified Parts" page. Posted 2 hours ago. $3,500.
Thank you for the heads up! I'll have to see if I can create a new FB account to keep tabs on Marketplace. I'll go sign up for that group and look for others.

PS: I went to check out your build log and that 2000 RS of yours is a beauty! Love the dark red with gold wheels. It's a refreshing break from the typical WRB and gold. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm also on the hunt... found one in NC and seller backed out. Another in Oklahoma but seller doesn't want to deal with me since I need the car shipped. Guess he doesn't want to deal with that..

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts