Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Impreza L Wagon 2.2L
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to do a brake job. Need to source the parts from local auto parts stores(NAPA, Advance Auto, Autozone, or O'Reily's).

Just wondering what brands of front pads and rotors you guys have been happy(or unhappy) with?

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Why not order from KNS Brakes or something?

You can get blank rotors that won't rust and upgraded pads. Even if you don't want to upgrade the pads (not sure why not, it's damn cheap) I'd still recommend the premium rotors over the Autozone ones. Again, cheap upgrade, but well worth it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Why not order from KNS Brakes or something?

You can get blank rotors that won't rust and upgraded pads. Even if you don't want to upgrade the pads (not sure why not, it's damn cheap) I'd still recommend the premium rotors over the Autozone ones. Again, cheap upgrade, but well worth it.
I appreciate the input but I'm going on a trip this weekend and want to do the brake job before Friday. I usually go with the mid-level pads and rotors at the auto parts stores on my other cars, but I just wanted to see what everyone else is using or has been happy with.

Plus I'm on a budget, trying to spend around $100. My car has 200k on it, I'm not planning on it lasting a whole lot longer.

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,037 Posts
When you hit a car and end up in the hospital because you couldn't brake fast enough... I bet you will realize having a budget for the single most important item on your car is not a good idea.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you hit a car and end up in the hospital because you couldn't brake fast enough... I bet you will realize having a budget for the single most important item on your car is not a good idea.
I've only been driving this car for 60,000 miles on auto parts store brakes. Total death machine. :hydrogen:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Um.. four rotors from a autoparts store will cost more than $100. Do you own a bicycle?
I own two, actually, but that's beside the point.

If you re-read my first post, I specified front front pads and rotors.

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5RS, 95 Civic VX
3,762 Posts
People been buying brake pad, rotor and other stuff from the autopart store for years. They're more then enough for the average driver on the road.

Braking is not all about the pad and rotor. Just remember, your tire is the only thing that's in contact with the road.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
OEM brake pad works good
Thank you.

People been buying brake pad, rotor and other stuff from the autopart store for years. They're more then enough for the average driver on the road.

Braking is not all about the pad and rotor. Just remember, your tire is the only thing that's in contact with the road.
I'm not scared of buying auto parts store stuff, I'm just asking what everyone else has used an been happy with. My car is old and tired, so I don't need to pour a ton of money into performance brake parts at this point. I'm definitely "the average driver", there's is nothing crazy happening in this car.

Tires are Goodyear Eagle RS with 80%+ tread. I'm not having braking issues, the pads are just starting to get low and the rotors may be a bit warped.

Autozone.com says 2 duralast front rotors and duralast front brake pads will cost $101.96. Over budget still, guess the bicycle will have to do.
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f9/t140067-how-duralast-gold-brakes.html
Thanks. I was going to go with some Duralast pads then I read that thread and figured I'd ask the community what brands they've been satisfied with since the Duralast are apparently noisy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You only have a $100 budget and those are the only pad/rotor combo that near that price. Why even make a topic asking what the best pad/rotors are if you can't afford them?
Jesus dude. There are other auto parts stores with different brands at various price points. Do you seriously not understand the original question?

I'm asking what auto parts store brands of pads and rotors people have been happy with. It's not that complicated, nor does it warrant you harassing me.

·
Registered
01 GC6 AW
230 Posts
My RS is a daily driver and I track in the warm seasons. Wagner Thermoquiet brake pads are perfect for my situation. (I got them from Advance Auto Parts) Standard rotors are fine.

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,037 Posts
Jesus dude. There are other auto parts stores with different brands at various price points. Do you seriously not understand the original question?

I'm asking what auto parts store brands of pads and rotors people have been happy with. It's not that complicated, nor does it warrant you harassing me.
So your topic title should have been "Best autoparts store pads/rotors" not "Best Stock Brake Pads/Rotors".

Nobody compares the cheapest brake pads from all auto part stores because they are usually from the same company but rebranded.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So your topic title should have been "Best autoparts store pads/rotors" not "Best Stock Brake Pads/Rotors".

Nobody compares the cheapest brake pads from all auto part stores because they are usually from the same company but rebranded.
You know what, you're right about the title. Only thing is that the cheapest brake pads are usually $14-$22, and I'm willing to pay up to/around $50, which puts me into pads that aren't necessarily the "same company but rebranded".

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5RS, 95 Civic VX
3,762 Posts
Just get the most affordable ceramic type pad. Get your rotor resurface. Do it your, and everything should come to about +/-$100.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My RS is a daily driver and I track in the warm seasons. Wagner Thermoquiet brake pads are perfect for my situation. (I got them from Advance Auto Parts) Standard rotors are fine.

Thank you, that's exactly the setup I was just eyeballing. I appreciate the honest input.

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,037 Posts
You know what, you're right about the title. Only thing is that the cheapest brake pads are usually $14-$22, and I'm willing to pay up to/around $50, which puts me into pads that aren't necessarily the "same company but rebranded".
You said your budget for front pads and rotors was $100.... that means you wouldn't be able to afford rotors.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts