Votes: 59 25.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
taxes are coming and i really want to speed up the sooby. i have a MY00 2.5RS
please post what you have, where you got it, and how much it cost.
group buy or not also.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Ganz for me! From what I've heard, the Cobb actually has just a touch more power gain, but not big enough to justify the price difference between it and the GanzFlow. And I guess the Gravelsport intake is pretty good, but I haven't seen any numbers, and I haven't heard of anyone but the guy who made it putting it on thier car. But it looks cool.

·
Premium Member
'01 RSTi - Aspen White
246 Posts
I've had them all except for the PDM and I like the Ganzflow the best. It's also one of the best priced. It's all about keeping the stock airbox.

Peace

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
unfortunately i don't have the stock airbox. i bought the car with a weapon r on it but, i don't like the idea of a hot air intake. keep it coming though:)

·
Premium Member
'01 RSTi - Aspen White
246 Posts
You could probably find one used. I even bought a second one to do the 3" inlet mod. I think I paid like $40 or so for a used one. Good luck.

Peace

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
who voted other?
what was it and why is it the best in your opinion.
please read the first post everyone. your posts should look something like this...

cobb cai
from www.cobbtuning.com
cost $***.**
i like it best because....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Although I am not the one who originally posted the first "other" I will tell you why I like what I have.

I have a 1999 2.5RS Auto. The auto needs to have that big gulp of air for the low end because we can't bring the rev's up like on the 5spd's. And I don't want to brake torque at every stop light so that my rpm's are up in the band.

Top speed is limited by the stock intake due to size and the speed limiter / governer or what ever you want to call it. Mine has been disabled by my JCS Auto Torque chip 2.

For roughly $90.00 I purchased a used, stock air box for the throttle body and the necessary pieces to convert the 2" elbow on the box to 3". (3" air path from MAF to throttlebody) This mod made a nice difference in the amount of time it takes to accelerate to top speed and I lost no bottom end what so ever. Can I substantiate this by showing a dyno run? No I cannot. The car has so much more grunt in overdrive now. It's a real pleasure to drive where it most definitely wasn't before.

I like this mod due to the price and performance. No it's not stylish or good looking but it works damn well. My gas mileage has gone down but performance has gone up. A trade off I'm willing to make.

·
Premium Member
'01 RSTi - Aspen White
246 Posts
Inbright,

You know what, I didn't even see the Gravelsport intake on the poll so I can't comment on it because I haven't had one. Sorry. I have had a Weapon R, Injen, AEM, a custom intake with a cone filter over the throttle body, and the Ganzflow. I didn't like any of them epecially the Weapon R. I just feel that the throttle response and low-end pick up dissapears when you take the airbox off and relace it with a tube. I don't want to start an argument with anybody, it's just my opinion. It just sucks that I spent so much money on all those parts. Although the Gravelsport does look very nice, I'm not spending any more money on an intake. I'm sticking with the Ganz.

Peace

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
cobb cai

from www.nasioc.com private classifieds

cost ~$300.00 (Had to modify for the MAF:D)

i like it best because:

Retains Low end well

Packs on the power up high like no other

Have driven Short Ram and ganz/pdm style and they don't compare (don't get me wrong, they are a good mod for the money, but cannot compete in the max power category)

Nifty Sound

Great Filter Design (I would modify a PRM filter for any car I would drive, it's simple, but a masterpiece...)

Hope that's what you want...:D

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
One more vote for the Ganz CAI. I know the Cobb intake is one of the best, but for the money to throw at one, I'd stick with the Ganz... I have also did the 3" elbow mod and that helped a bit more on the top end w/o any low end loss. It just requires some time and patience. I would say that this current intake is almost as good as the Cobb. What's your definition of enthusiast?:checkit:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
kickin_81 said:
I have also did the 3" elbow mod and that helped a bit more on the top end w/o any low end loss. It just requires some time and patience. I would say that this current intake is almost as good as the Cobb. What's your definition of enthusiast?:checkit:
You have no Idea about time and patience...;)

try being the first to modify a Cobb for the 99... No instructions, just do it and pray...That's my definition of enthusiast...:checkit:

and the money thing... you could have had the same intake for a lot less if you wanted to...;) Home Depot has the supplies...:D

People choose to buy exhausts that can be had for cheaper... There is less of a difference b/t a Ganzflow and Cobb than a mandrel bent exhaust and a custom one, and the gains there are less than Cobb v. Ganzflow. It's about getting the most available...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
DanzBorin said:
You have no Idea about time and patience...;)

try being the first to modify a Cobb for the 99... No instructions, just do it and pray...That's my definition of enthusiast...:checkit:

and the money thing... you could have had the same intake for a lot less if you wanted to...;) Home Depot has the supplies...:D

People choose to buy exhausts that can be had for cheaper... There is less of a difference b/t a Ganzflow and Cobb than a mandrel bent exhaust and a custom one, and the gains there are less than Cobb v. Ganzflow. It's about getting the most available...
Yeah. :gaga: You have a point. My definition is a person who's willing to make what they have better and to have the passion for it.

sMu|2f, as far as I know, AEM only has the short ram for the EJ25. I don't know of any hp figures either. :run:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
kickin_81 said:
sMu|2f, as far as I know, AEM only has the short ram for the EJ25. I don't know of any hp figures either. :run:
The only good one still made...

The other one out there is the weaponR...

Old skewlers remember the JC Sports and Rallispec...;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DanzBorin said:
Hope that's what you want...:D
exactly, one of my goals with this poll is so that the reference is there any time somebody decides to ask or look around.
money is another thing. i don't care how much more the cobb is if it's the best. i want to use the best and nothing less. i know i can pick up the ganz for a much lower price than the cobb. i know i can pick up a weapon r in the classified section for $50. not trying to step on any toes, juz makin sure that im getting the best performance available from this upgrade.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO 6spd
4,229 Posts
DanzBorin said:
The only good one still made...

The other one out there is the weaponR...

Old skewlers remember the JC Sports and Rallispec...;)
I not only remember Rallispec, I've got one. :biggest:

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
So Rallispec's not making their CAIs anymore, eh?
Yes I remember them.

I don't have one, but if I went that route I'd probably opt for the PDM. Uses the OEM airbox, which I like, and it's cheap. I know it's a Ganz ripoff in part, and all of that, but... I'm a price shopper.
Sorry. :)

I'm very torn on the CAI thing. I'm wary of the water suck thing, but so many people have said that I'm worrying for nothing, that it's never happened, etc etc. It HAS happened, maybe not to an Impreza, but... I don't know. I say all that tubing's there for a reason, I guess...

-S2-

1 - 20 of 93 Posts