Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

First off I wanted to say thanks to all those who replied about the MAF replacemet....your information has helped a lot.

I have a few more questions to pick the brain here.

I am finally looking for an intake and exhaust setup for my99. What is the best combination to get?

Any opinions are appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you seen the new Techworks exhaust, quite alot of chatter on the I-club board, they have a wild looking carbonfibre ram air scoop and box, not sure how much looks likes its very expensive though.
Teckworks

:sunny:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm currently working on an intake like that for one of my mechanical enginering classes. Remember though, "Ram Air" is a bunch of horse poop. For a "Ram Air" type intake to produce any positive gains from high pressure air you have to be traveling at over 300 miles per hour. The key benefit of this type of design is the coolest, densest air possible with the shortest track possible to the throttle body. Also, you need to make sure they have a good way of filtering out the water when it rains. This is not for the WRX, this is the intake track, mere inches from the throttle body, that is obviously the biggest obstical to over come in the design. But that is the most benifitial placement for an intake I can think of. Another rule of thumb is every square inch on the intake snorkel equates to 20 horsepower. Which means if you are running 180 horsepower at the flywheel you need an opening of 9 square inches. An so on for higher horse engines.

As far a recommend, I love my stromung dual tip muffler mid pipe. Got it from Mike at SPD tuning. www.spdusa.com Don't mess with mild steel, go for the stainless. As for intakes, make sure it take air out of the fender, other wise it is not a "Cold Air Intake" it is just sucking in hot air from the engine bay. Hope this helps!

·
Audi Fondler
2000 Silverish 2.5rs Sedan
3,251 Posts
aye... go with the stromung... it's awesome performance wise over louder exhausts... it's really well designed, but do get the the stainless... I got the mild to save 100 bucks and now I'm regretting it... probably gonna sell mine for a couple hundred and get a stainless...

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Yeah, I'd heard bad things about Stromung insofar as rusting.... so maybe that's why. They must have two options. Never buy a non-stainless exhaust. That's just askin' for trouble. :)

Stromung's popular, but another good one is Brullen. They have different noise levels you can choose from, from Mild to Loud. You can also choose between single- and dual-tip designs. I think the dual-tip ones generally lean toward a quieter exhaust note.
I'm personally wanting the dual-tip Quiet version. I'm sure it's nice at higher throttle, but around town I don't want to draw much attention to myself.

Well, usually. :D

Then there's always STi exhausts, if you want to pay out the nose. But they will be a perfect fit, and the sound won't be at all overbearing.
One of the highest-regarded exhausts of course is ScoobySport (at www.rallyperformance.com for those of us in the US), but I'm sure they're expensive, too. SWEET note, though. Yummy.
Or you could go with a Cobb Tuning (www.cobbtuning.com) one.
They used to use Stromung as a supplier but they're making their own, now.
Rallispec (www.rallispec.com) used to make some cool, but very LOUD exhausts. They're back in business now (in New Jersey still), I'm sure making exhausts again.

As for CAIs, Cobb is generally considered the best, but they're expensive. You can also go with GanzFlow, a design that doesn't remove the stock airbox, and some people think that helps with engine safety (i.e. water suck). One similar/identical to the GanzFlow design is PDM-Racing, and that's the one I want.
Why? It only costs $50. :cool:
www.pdm-racing.com ... go to "Subaru Corner."

-S2-

·
Registered
32 Posts
my vote for exhaust: Apex'i n1 :devil: i love that thing, it huge but it sounds sooo awesome

and intake for the 99: i would have to put my money on the new Injen intake

·
Audi Fondler
3,251 Posts
as far as intakes go... I wouldn't get the weapon-r dragon unless you buy a different filter for it like k&n... the pipe itself is probably the best I've seen that stays in the engine bay, but the filter housing is pretty cheap.... I ran the hose from their ram kit to my outer from for better cold air flow :)

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
No weapon R bashing, I've got one on my 99 and not a single blown MAF :p . I DID blow a maf with my previous K&N style cone filter (on a custom MAF bracket, stock plumbing). As for exhaust, what's your budget? If you want performance over sound, find yourself the cheapest straight through design muffler you can. I have an Aerospeed universal and it sounds great (I did put a resonator on to keep it civilized). I won't spend $250, $300, and up for a cat back when I can get a custom exhaust done for 1/4 that price.

·
Audi Fondler
3,251 Posts
as I said... I love the intake itself... at least the dragon :) but 2 times now the bracket mount has snapped and I've had to replace the filter housing... at 60 bucks a pop I wasn't happy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey thanks for the reply's guys

So many choices.

What do you guys think about the Apex (sp?) N1 exhaust?
How much are the STI exhausts and where do i get them?

And as far as intakes, which ones are safe to use on my99? I really don't want problems with the MAF cause I don't have money to burn on new ones.

Thanks

·
Audi Fondler
3,251 Posts
Cobb's and Injen's intakes are both well desinged and draw more cold are than most... pretty safe too, don't have to worry about water and such getting in there... sti stuff can be easy or hard to get your hands on and aside from the front strut and spoilers, I think it's all overpriced ;) Don't know about the other exhausts... had a bomz one on originally and switched to a stromung dual tip... performance with the stromung is fantastic... can't recommend others though as I haven't tried :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Apex or PDM

I use a www.pdm-racing.com muffler. No rust so far and works like a charm. Sounds like my friends N1 Apex and feels like it to but my silencer works better than Apex's silencer :)

Get rid of the "resonator pipe" behind the second Cat. Your car will sound and work better.

Intakes; get an Amsoil Panel filter and a Imprezars.com cold air intake. Works wonders. If you want more power get a K&N with the hood scoop removed but know this K&N's remove less dirt and water could get into the engine like this.

Luck
EW

1 - 13 of 13 Posts