Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been doing some research and I`m really stuck on which motor and other components are best for my 03 2.5 RS all tips and suggestions will be EXTREMELY helpful and looked into carefully!
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
667 Posts
Can you describe what "best" means to you?

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
667 Posts
Well, like the saying goes,

Fast
Reliable
Cheap

Pick 2

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
667 Posts
Basically a full STI swap with a full forged rebuild of the engine is what you're after.

Honestly, it would be cheaper and more reliable to buy an STI and start from there.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
667 Posts
The Japanese version 8 STI, aka the version 8 ej207 would be my favorite all arounder.

It's durable and can handle 400hp without rebuilding the internals.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
667 Posts
For example:

And no Subaru 5 speed will hold the power when you're pushing it, so you need an STI 6 speed.

Example:

Clutch kit to hold big power: $750+++

Sti wiring harness $several hundred

Having Iwire or another company merge your wiring with the STI's: $1500+

You probably want to stop, so a set of brembos, quality pads and rotors: $1200+

Wheels and quality tires that clear your brakes $$$

Exhaust? $$$

Fluids, timing belt, gaskets, sensors, misc parts, etc. Easily $1000, could be significantly higher

Estimate your car will be down for a few months.

And so on. What I'm trying to illustrate is you can very quickly exceed the cost of an 04-07 STI, and still have a car that you can't sell for anywhere close to the money you put in.

Don't get discouraged, but just know that financially it may make more sense to start with a factory turbo charged car and build that up.

For example, in my area (Greater Seattle area) there are always WRX's needing an engine or trans or both, for $2k-$4k. Hell my friend just tried to offload his running and driving WRX 5-speed wagon (rough body) on me for $2500. I just don't need 3 turbocharged Subarus lol.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
790 Posts
My favorite engine is the ej22. You can take an old 2.2 block and put turbo heads on it for a super cheap, decently fast motor. I ran 18 psi on a 2.2 block with 2.5 heads that I modded for turbo oil return, it was all old 90's non turbo stuff. If I had put a new oil pickup in it I'd still be running it today.
That's probably about the limit for that setup, but cost/power ratio can't be beat. If you have loot get the aforementioned ej207.
Have you considered engine management?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts