·
Registered
Evo X GSR, 07 Civic Si
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

i just read a thread on nasioc, and guess what i found

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594659

yes, exactly....they spec b axles from the factory use the R160 hubs (same as WRX's, other legacy's...etc, i'm sure in efforts to save money) and an r180 differential to hold the power. This was confirmed on a LGT that had a 6spd swap done, they used the spec b axles and r180 diff and it mated up to the r160 hubs and r180 rearend perfectly. :devil:
so basically all we need is an R180, and a pair of Spec B rear diff. and freaking bam, we get the stronger diff. along with factory STi lsd...

this is way cheaper than getting a full R180 rear end swap or having a cusco/kaaz LSD put into the R160...

can anybody confirm this information is correct? i hope i'm not getting excited over nothing...

edit: i've never read this information ANYWHERE and i've been researching rear diff./axle combos on all the subaru boards for months, so hopefully i'm not the last person to know about this or something lol

·
Registered
Evo X GSR, 07 Civic Si
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well 555 replied and said while he checked the wheelbase of the LGT and found it to be *almost* identical with the impreza, he didnt' say "exactly identical"...so it seems there's a slight chance it may not just bolt up to the GC...dammit i need them to bolt up.

time to look for a pair of spec B axles :D

·
Registered
Evo X GSR, 07 Civic Si
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts

·
Registered
Evo X GSR, 07 Civic Si
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what about axle length ? IMO if the axles fit on the GC everything else is easy...swapping the r&p is still way cheaper than the other alternatives

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,916 Posts
well damn, it won't work :(

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1099665&highlight=lgt+spec+b+axles

firstly the r180 has a helical vs. mechanical lsd of the STi's r180

axle lengths are different than that of an STi's

lastly the lgt spec B's R180 has a 3.54 ratio, so unless one has an 06-07 6spd (i have an 05 :() a r&p swap is required...

damn it now i'm depressed.

The 06-07 cant use them because they have a 3.7 final. However the 02-05 can because of the 3.9 with the 1.1 center.

·
Registered
Evo X GSR, 07 Civic Si
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
06-07 6spd had a 3.54 r&p but has an FD of 3.90 due to a 1.1:1 center diff. ratio

04-05 has a 1:1 center diff. and actual 3.90 FD/r&p

nissan axles...anybody happen to know which nissan axle is the same length as the STi's? lol

·
Registered
Evo X GSR, 07 Civic Si
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
u mean the r200? that requires modification just to fit on the car though..even though it's stronger than the r180 :D

·
Registered
STi swapped SF5, WTF?
2,933 Posts
Are the inner parts of the Spec B axles swappable to the RS axles? If you take the boot off, it is usaully two parts, the the R180 stubs connect with the RS length axles you should be good.

·
Registered
Your mom won't let u have it
444 Posts
Are the inner parts of the Spec B axles swappable to the RS axles? If you take the boot off, it is usaully two parts, the the R180 stubs connect with the RS length axles you should be good.
That sounds like it might almost work ! Anyone willing to give her a try ?

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
That actually is supposed to work but I have not tried it myself.
This is basically what the smarter VW & Honda swap guys do to change hubs (5hole on VWs & the wide 4 hole on Hondas).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts