Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 rs with a stock EJ2.5 SOHC sedan looking for insight on replacing my head gasket and was not sure what brand i should buy. I don't think i want an OEM head gasket since they have a reputation for failing.

Also while I'm at it what else should i check when i replace the head gasket?

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe Silverthorn 5spd
565 Posts
Made by Fel-Pro? No thank you....

There was a problem with the headgaskets from back then, the new ones are fine. I put 70k on my engine with new gaskets before i spun a rod bearing. Just buy a Headgasket kit from Z1 or some one else for 250 and save all the money since your gonna wanna do the valve cover, spark plug gaskets, intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, etc.

Well, since your already in there, might as well do the timing belt/pulleys/water pump/thermostat/tensioner/coolant/spark plugs...

·
Baby Sitter
1995 Red Bomber Impreza
2,228 Posts
never had an issue with the last 3 head gaskets jobs i've done using felpro gaskets, but these were on dd cars. dunno if that makes a difference or not.

i think any gasket brand is fine, its all in the prep work that you do prior to installing them.

·
Registered
A Blue RS
2,975 Posts
I have used OEM, felpro, and 6star gaskets, 6 star has been by far my favorite. But there is absolutely no reason to not use OEM gaskets since they have already been redesigned to not fail like they use to. Felpros are okay but I never got to really test their durability, my buddy is running them on his 02rs without a problem so far

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
most important thing is to have the heads cleaned and decked and make sure that the mating surface is perfect. As well as using the correct torquing sequence for the head bolts.

·
Registered
2003 2.5RS
60 Posts
You might want to look into doing the valve cover gaskets as well. Since your in there taking stuff apart; it only takes about a half hour even with the park plug tube seals.

·
Registered
99 RBP RS Coupe
131 Posts
I got the Z1 kit for mines. I got a lot of stuff with it and saved me a lot of money. I did accidentally bent my driver side one, so I bought an OEM one to replace the bent one. I was able to compare both gaskets, and the OEM one seemed to be a bit thicker, but the materials seemed identical.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts