Votes: 159 26.5%

• Total voters
101 - 120 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
CIATexan said:
think its ironic, but in this entire thread on "Boxer Sound" no one has mentioned the largest contributing factor to the "boxer sound" is UEL headers....not the catback.
I agree with you.
There's a slight pulsing, but not as pronounced. Tell you what though, the NA non-turbo 90-94 Legacies had the better sounding headers!

But a muffler is a muffler, it helps muffle the sound. Anyone works, it's just how well each one MUFFLES the sound. I would put in a hot rod skinny resonator in the midpipe and a 4" x 20" tip on my setup. It's just me....I like the boiling ecoing in the tailpipe, very mean.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT Wagon
1,021 Posts
FuJi K said:
I agree with you.
There's a slight pulsing, but not as pronounced. Tell you what though, the NA non-turbo 90-94 Legacies had the better sounding headers!

But a muffler is a muffler, it helps muffle the sound. Anyone works, it's just how well each one MUFFLES the sound. I would put in a hot rod skinny resonator in the midpipe and a 4" x 20" tip on my setup. It's just me....I like the boiling ecoing in the tailpipe, very mean.

True but depending on the way the muffler muffles the sound will affect sound quailty. A muffler with sound deadining material will sound different than one that uses chambers to create an opposite pressure wave which ultimatly reducing noise level. I would guess that the straight though version would have an improved boxer sound. My guess would be a dynomax super turbo would sound very nice. Although I have not heard one. Can anybody back this up??? sound clip perhaps???

·
Registered
11 Posts
i miss my old setup. it was a 2.5" straight pipe, no cat, and Blitz NuR-Spec on my 1.8L. sounded mean as hit, and fucking loud as all hell. got a lot of pros from the old muscleheads in my neighborhood. doesnt exactly compare to my current setup ( STI axleback, stok header, stock cats ) does it?

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT Wagon
1,021 Posts
FalconRS said:
I'd be happy to shoot down your theory.

Borla Catback only (straight-through muffler):
http://media.putfile.com/borla_catback

Borla Catback with UEL Borla-replica headers:
http://media.putfile.com/Borla-HeaderCatback_10ft_from_tip

As you can see, without the headers, you get virtually no pulsing at all.
You missed my point. Of course the headers are the big contributor, I'm just saying a straight through muffler would complement the headers better than a chambered muffler

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS SRP '04 4STR-XT OBP
405 Posts
handyRS said:
factory sti axleback
I have the entire 04 STI CAT back it sounds mean...a little raspy ...it definitely sounds different on an RS than it does on an STI WRX!

·
Registered
98 GM6 EJ207 V7
704 Posts
Hayward and Scott Scoobysport. Love the Sound...I have a crappy clip from when I seafoamed, there are better on youtube I bet but it gets my vote.

/watch?v=rZNuPrS674U

·
Registered
21 Posts
i too perfer the sti mid pipe and axle back.

if you leave the resonators in it sounds nice and quiet. if you remove the resonator then it gets raspy.

i have one on my wrx and one on my forester.

2002 WRX With STI Exhaust 3" Down Pipe - YouTube

thats my wrx above.

i will make a video on forester too. i put some uel headers on fozzy. made it rumble but still super quiet. going to get a tsudo test pipe for it before the video

for a daily or a road driven car the sti setup is the best imo.

·
Registered
11 wrx & 15 fozzy 2.5i
2,000 Posts
hey, you don't have an Invidia G200 on the poll????????????????

edited: NVM, i just went to the first post and it's for NA rs

101 - 120 of 183 Posts