Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Bellhousing bolt strippped

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  jeff6666p 
#1 ·
I went to remove the bolt so I can install my starter and the threads ripped out.
Is there anyway to fix this without removing the engine again?

#3 · (Edited)
I wouldn't trust myself to drill it out in the car. I tried it before on and went off center on a different bolt. I would need it out of the car. I found this on ebay.
Extended Long Shank Extension Plug Tap M10 x 1.25 x 130mm Metric Right Hand HSS | eBay

I'm going to give this a try. The bolt goes in and catches the threads but wont tighten the last 2-3 millimeters it goes to tighten and pushes back out. I tried somewashers but it does the same thing.

I the other bolt I tried I can see the threads getting messed up about 6 or so thread up the bolt but not at the end.

#5 ·
Just drill out the starter hole bit if necessary and send in a slightly larger imperial threaded bolt. It'll make it's own threads and get you tight enough, especially if only one bolt will suffice. I think that's what I did on my SVX manual swap...

#6 ·
Either drill it to the next size and tap, then drill the starter hole out as well, and use a larger bolt...or drill and use a helicoil for the original size bolt. If you don't drill it like an idiot, the bit will guide itself straight enough and the tap will also guide itself. The trick is to let the bit do the job instead of forcing.

I tapped the trans on my previous build because the engine didn't have a hole for the bolt. Then I used a bit I had to slightly enlarge the starter hole. Worked great and only had to buy a tap for a random bolt I already had. This way I didn't have to drill the engine housing. There were already some jdm transmissions made that way.

#12 ·
Yes, you can easily do it this way.
I would use blue Loctite on the threads as well as lock washers on both sides. You would only need 1 nut as opposed to two.

I know people have said they do it but I would not run one bolt on the starter as opposed to two. With only 1 bolt, the vibration will loosen the bolt and you could actually have the starter fall out if the loose bolt is not noticed.

#10 · (Edited)
clean the inside of the hole with a wire brush, then 1/16" layer of JB weld 24 hour epoxy all around inside in the hole, let it dry, then cut notches in the end of the bolt so it is like a self threading one. Then thread it in like a tap ( in/out/in/out ect.) This has worked for me in the past on a water pump bolt. BOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.