Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Legacy Lx Sedan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I’m having a bit of difficulty finding a single turbo intake manifold for my 1996 Legacy Lx, Engine wise I have the factory EJ18 and I’m planning to turbocharge it down the line. (most likely around Christmas time 2020)

From what I’ve seen so far on NA Impreza’s typically somebody will grab an aftermarket or factory intake manifold for a 07 wrx/sti and be away laughing. In the Legacies case, so far the closest thing I could think of for an factory intake manifold would be the one used in the first gen Rs, although I haven’t been able to find out whether or not they fit, let alone find one :(

I’ve briefly read over a few individuals who also get the full WRX exhaust set up for their legacies and then move some hangers and extend them out a bit longer? Is anybody else familiar with this and how hard it could to be to pull off? I’m not too hands on so taking it to a shop might be the smarter play but obviously I just don’t wanna buy the wrong thing first off.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Dean.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
925 Posts
Since the 1.8 is phase 1 (pre 1999) and SOHC, only phase 1 SOHC manifolds will bolt up. There's three bolt patterns AFAIK.
Phase 1 SOHC (1.8, 2.2, pre-99)
Phase 1 DOHC (2.0, 2.5, pre-99)
Phase 2 (1999+)
The 99 Legacy GT/Outback had a factory hybrid: P1 heads on P2 block.
These are USDM of course, not sure but I think it's similar for you but the phase change may be a year earlier?

When I turboed my 1.8, I used a 2.2 manifold, with the 1.8 throttle body because it has the integrated IACV. I also used 2.2 turbo heads on the 1.8 block to drop compression and already have the turbo oil and water feeds.

You should read ALL of joejoe69's thread, that's where I started.

·
Registered
1996 Legacy Lx Sedan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since the 1.8 is phase 1 (pre 1999) and SOHC, only phase 1 SOHC manifolds will bolt up. There's three bolt patterns AFAIK.
Phase 1 SOHC (1.8, 2.2, pre-99)
Phase 1 DOHC (2.0, 2.5, pre-99)
Phase 2 (1999+)
The 99 Legacy GT/Outback had a factory hybrid: P1 heads on P2 block.
These are USDM of course, not sure but I think it's similar for you but the phase change may be a year earlier?

When I turboed my 1.8, I used a 2.2 manifold, with the 1.8 throttle body because it has the integrated IACV. I also used 2.2 turbo heads on the 1.8 block to drop compression and already have the turbo oil and water feeds.

You should read ALL of joejoe69's thread, that's where I started.

Damn I thought so, was just really hoping there was something else I was missing! So from my understanding the EJ22T was exclusive to the US in the Rs? (Over here in NZ we had the EJ20G inside of ours) Just because of that it has made finding a manifold for under $1000 a bit of a pain in the backside, admittedly though I haven’t started asking for quotes from fabricators yet haha.

Ah good ol OcTurboJoe, actually what got me into subarus in the first place! I will have to go back and watch it all again, can’t forget the forum either.

I’ll make sure to continue looking into those 22T heads then and see what I can find.

Cheers for all the help so far man, really appreciate it.

Dean

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
925 Posts
Actually the ej22t was in the 91-94 Legacy turbo here in the states. I believe that's all.

Sorry, didn't realize you were in NZ! I really don't know much outside of USDM.

For the record, I've read about people turboing the 1.8 as is, I think you could still get away with 12 psi or so with a solid tune. Could be a pretty zippy starting point anyway.

·
Registered
1996 Legacy Lx Sedan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually the ej22t was in the 91-94 Legacy turbo here in the states. I believe that's all.

Sorry, didn't realize you were in NZ! I really don't know much outside of USDM.

For the record, I've read about people turboing the 1.8 as is, I think you could still get away with 12 psi or so with a solid tune. Could be a pretty zippy starting point anyway.
Ah my apologies, since I’m still quite new to Subis in general I constantly get mixed up between models haha.

Hey that’s alright! In all honestly other NZ’s really haven’t been much help which is why I’m here, the majority of people on this forum actually do their research where as over damn near every Kiwi I’ve spoken too just wing everything, hope it works and if it doesn’t? Scrap the whole thing and get something else. It’s a sad cycle that I really don’t want to follow lol

Damn that’s pretty solid for that lil thing, I think I read somewhere that someone was pushing 14-15psi for about 30000k before the head gasket blew hahaha. Not sure if I’ll need anything near that though, I have no idea as to what amount of power I’m looking for simply because I haven’t had enough experience with modified cars, I’d say the closest I’ve been to “real power” would be my friends 280kw R33 25DET pushing 17psi through a A/R.70 haha, a tad overkill for me as of now but still hella fun!

Cheers,

Dean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts