Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1997 OBS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, I was hoping you could help me out with a little predicament I have. I’ve got a 97 OBS that I use for shooting and rock-climbing excursions. It’s lifted with king springs and 1” body spacers, running on KYB AGX dampers. She handles great and I can clear everything the trails have the trails have thrown at me so far.
Here’s how she sits currently:

The tires were starting to get a little low on tread so I started looking for a set of all terrain tires. Now, I got a hell of a deal on a set of Yokohama Geolandars (205/70/15). Obviously, these are a good bit taller than the stock tires. As such, they will just barely fit under the spring perch on the struts(they rub just a toad hair). Here’s some pictures to show you what it looks like with the Geolandars mounted:

So my question for you guys is this:
What would you suggest to kick the tires out about 1”(25mm) so they clear the spring perch? I’m thinking my options are:

1. A set of wheels with ~25mm less offset(my understanding is that the OEM wheels have about +55 offset, so would that offset be doable?)

2. Some hubcentric wheel spacers(with accompanying studs)

Any other suggestions, I’m all ears but since I already have the tires, I’m looking for options working around them. Ideas for specific wheels/spacers/other options would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-Chris

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe Silverthorn 5spd
565 Posts
Id do the wheel spacers for now, although, do you really need the 25mm spacers? Or can you get by with like a 15?

Id then save up for a set of rims you like in the right offset to clear.

Also, pics of it with the new tires. :D

·
Registered
1997 OBS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, the tire is about one tread width under the spring perch. That measures to be right about an inch. Believe me, I’m not crazy about sticking 25mm spacers on there, and I’m coming up short on finding wheels by searching for ‘15” 5x100 30 offset wheels’. Found a few old VW wheels that look like they might work, but I’m not sure.

I will be sure to share some pictures when she’s all put together.

Thank you for the input, sir.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts