Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2000, Subaru Impreza RS, WRB
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welcome to my build thread! This is the start of a great journey, I have been wanting to build this car for years but never found the resources to do so... until today!

---------- Table of Contents----------

Post 11: Brake/Fuel Lines, Pedals, Wiring Harness and Dash
Post 17: STI Dash Swap Video Tutorial
Post 26: Car Runs and Drives!
Post 43: New Wheels - Reveal

---------- Story ----------

The project is divided in three phases as follows:
  1. Completing the swap as is, no restoration yet [DONE]
  2. 22B widebody kit [IN PROGRESS]
  3. Powaaaaaa! (engine mods)
The plan is simple, take three cars and merge them into a single rally legend. Simple enough, right? 😅 well, not exactly but if you keep reading you might find out how its done.

It all started with a MY00 impreza 2.0 GT RS that I found on a local website. Its condition was rough (literally trash), but the price was fair so I bought it. Shortly after, I stumbled upon the cheapest running STI I had seen in several months of research on all sorts of shady websites... so i finally bought a MY06 STI limited, and the build had officially begun 👏

All was well until I realized that the RS chassis was rusted far beyond repair. Genuinely wondering how this thing was still in one piece with so many holes in the frame :wtf:

At this point I faced two options:
1) Get half of the frame chopped off and custom build the rear end (which has been done before, but is a whole lot of work)
2) Find another shell (possibly pricey, long lead time, no guarantee of being rust free, etc.)

After browsing the dark web for a bit (because yes thats where awesome cars are hidden... but not really) I found a dirt cheap MY97 Impreza not too far away. The build was back on track!!

From there it has been over 300h of work so far and still counting.

---------- Youtube ----------

🎥 See the full process on Youtube under:
Swiss Tuned - YouTube 🌽

---------- Photos ----------

Both cars:

Working on the RS:

(The rust... 🤬)

Working on the STI:

The new (rust free) GC8 Shell:

22B Widebody kit:

---------- Parts List ----------
Stuff in italic is what I plan on getting, the rest I already have.

Mechanical
Bone stock 2006 STI 2.5L
STI 6 spd transmission
STI Brembo brakes
BC coilovers ER series (custom setup)
Everything else from the 06 STI (knuckles, struts, diff, axles...)
Closed deck block and everything to make 700hp+ :devilish:
CAE Ultra Shifter
18x10 ET30 Volk ZE40 Gold
ARP extended lug studs
Muteki SR45 Ti
STI carbon front strut brace
Goodridge blue braided brake lines
Cusco rear triangle strut bar

Interior
Custom Cages multipoint roll cage
STI dash, dash bar, steering wheel/column
JDM blue STI seats (front and rear)
Brand new STI blue carpet
WRC STI hydraulic handbrake
Roof liner without sunroof
Harness
Custom carbon door card handles to house STI buttons
STI blue alcantara door inserts
DAMD carbon steering wheel
Gauge cluster & gauges

Exterior
22B widebody kit
Genuine aluminium hood
Roof scoop
Sunroof delete (new roof skin)
22B style wing
WRC hood vents
WRC carbon mirrors
Livery (year 97' WRC replica)
Carbon windshield cowl
JDM rainbow fog lights
JDM tail lights (brand new)

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nice! what wrc kit are you going with? I went with the Aerosim Research carbon kit myself.
I wish I could go with that as well, but it is very pricey... For half of that amount I can get a complete kit from a shop in Switzerland (my home country) with all the paperwork needed to register the car as a widebody. Registration is a pita here 😰 anything other than factory has to go through extensive inspection...

I was looking at ABW as well, quality is good but it would be about the same price and I'm not sure how legal their kit is over here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in to see where you go with this.
sub’d for incoming awesomeness
Thanks guys, really appreciate the support!

I'm a full time student doing a master's in mechanical engineering, so not too much free time on my hands, but I've been dedicating all of it to this project and I freakin' love it! :D
Things will get rad pretty soon!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spent most of today fitting the STI heater core and dash beam into the car.
The placement isn't final yet since it still depends on the dash, but looking at it so far I must say it is pretty darn good.

The two heater cores side by side:

The two beams side by side: (GC top, GD bottom)

The result:

I could do a full tutorial with more pictures once I'm done installing the dash and the steering column. It really isn't that difficult of a job, just a lot of precise cutting and test fitting, followed by lots of swearing and head scratching... :mamoru:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Today the dash went in! Its fitment isn't final yet, but I wanted to make sure that everything else fits before moving on.

First I placed the dash:

Then I started messing with the blower box and realized that it needed some custom mounting brackets. So here is what I did :sneaky:

Now moving on to the glove box, it needed some modifications too...

And the result so far :rolleyes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'd like to see the side gaps
Here ya go ;)
As said, this isn't the final fitment. It is just the first mock-up with as many parts as possible to make sure that nothing looks terribly wrong. Most bolts are just hand tight for now and I haven't even screwed the dash into the top of the firewall yet).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Huge Update

Lots of good progress within the last few weeks, here is what has been done:

• STI Brake lines and fuel lines
  • Pedal assembly
  • Wiring harness
- Dash swap (final placement)

Let's start with the STI brake lines and the ABS system. The main problems were by the brake booster, I had to bend the lines by hand to make them fit the RS firewall.

Next, the pedal assembly... since the STI pedal assembly won't fit the RS, I tried swapping just the STI pedals into the RS bracket, but here again no dice. The STI pedals have a different shape by the sensor which gave them a weird angle. I ended up using the complete RS pedal assembly, just added the clutch sensor and the STI pads to make it look nice.
For the gas pedal I used the adapter bracket from iWire. Works great!

Then, I starter messing with the wiring harness... almost gave me a headache :sick:

Finally, now that the wiring harness is in, I went back and gave the dash its final placement. I'm just using a screwdriver in place of the plastic inserts since they can be a pain to work with.

Now how's that fitment? 🧐

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wish I could find the cheapest Sti possible so I can start my Rs build if anybody in central valley wants to help me let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
I wish I could find the cheapest Sti possible so I can start my Rs build if anybody in central valley wants to help me let me know

Man, I told you in my thread. Just find a WRX. If you’re worried about cost then just find a cheap donor. You might not get a six speed and Brembo’s, but it will be fine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·