Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like my optima yellow top wants to be recycled - build date is 11/15 and it trickled down over a week of non-use.

I’ve heard that the quality on optimas has gone down considerably, and I know lightweight batteries are all the rage.

Any recommendations? What are you running in your car? I’m not worried about price so much as a good long-term battery that will hold up even with minimal use.

-TC

·
Registered
307 Posts
I always use the walmart maxx 35N, they have like a 3 yesr warranty no questions asked so if you have a draw in the harness and it dies you can hand it in with the receipt and get a brand new one. They run about $100, Ive been using walmart batteries in GCs for like 12 years

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I should probably be more specific.

I’m looking for a solid state battery, or one that is lightweight and not lead acid. Like a braille or whatever the equivalent is for cars. I’d love to save weight, but more importantly, I need something that is better for a car that’s stored more than driven (sadly) and lead acid doesn’t typically hold up well in that scenario compared to solid state versions.

-TC

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
798 Posts
Used to run Optima red top's, the last 2 left me stranded. Been running a Napa Legend battery since and has never let me down. Put them in all my cars now.

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,506 Posts
A YouTube channel I follow had a car fire due to the lithium ion battery. Be careful.

My motorcycle has a conventional battery, and I have a battery tender on it so it stays charged during the months I don't use it.

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A YouTube channel I follow had a car fire due to the lithium ion battery. Be careful.

My motorcycle has a conventional battery, and I have a battery tender on it so it stays charged during the months I don't use it.
Oh, that stinks.

The 600RR, mr2 and GC are all left on tenders usually. I want to avoid it where possible as it’s just one more step to get the car out and driving. An easy one, but a step nonetheless.

Maybe I’ll circle back on conventional batteries. No part of me wants the GC to burn to the ground - I don’t have a fire suppression system installed and just carry a fire extinguisher with me.

Thanks everyone,
-TC

·
Registered
98/05 RSTi
11 Posts
Optima went to crap when they sold. Had a redtop with 2 dead cells for YEARS starting 3 of my cars. Bought a new one and it died within a year.

·
Registered
00 RS cpe, 01 RS cpe, 05 3.0 R
180 Posts
If have had very good luck with Exide AGM batteries- each of my GM are so equipt , one is probably 10 years old . the other maybe 5 or 6 . Not implying the current ones are of the same quality , as this I don`t know

1 - 8 of 8 Posts