Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1901 - 1920 of 1928 Posts

· Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
1,023 Posts
Wow, what a blast.The journey from "never" to "now" on the swap throws you, but it happens.

Enjoy the car. It's changes everything - turns it up to 11 - in a good way. Hope you get some time for an auto-x or track day.

-TC

· Registered
99 BDP RS
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,903 ·
Finally installed my blue Prova mirrors that I've had sitting for probably 4 years.. The adhesive that was on the back of the mirrors was not working whatsoever.. so I had to use some 3M double sided and matched where the stock glass had adhesive taped. They stuck much better after that. It also took a little getting used to the wider angle and driving with traffic.

I had also bought some eBay 4/2 pots earlier this year, or late last year (I forget), cause cheap and why not... also because one of the rear calipers on the RS is sticking and I need to rebuild them all. I spent our heatwave painting and they're almost all done. Just need to put the decals on the fronts and clear them. Still debating putting this set on the Forester and rebuilding the RS' over winter and just let it sit on stands. We'll see..

I had to get creative to find a parts stand cause hanging them from the ceiling wasn't working. I'm short and couldn't see the tops lol. Lawnmower to the rescue!

This is the same color that's currently on the RS. I liked it so much I just used it again lol.

· Registered
99 BDP RS
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,907 ·
Recent events..
I had the car re-tuned for elevation/altitude. Made 209tq/225hp, which isn't bad! I told my tuner numbers weren't the goal, but to make the motor happy. One day I'll work towards a good 300, but not anytime soon.

Picked up one of the last sets of brand new clear corners from Flatirons Tuning (great guys over there!)

Went on a classic Impreza cruise up to Estes, CO

Then installed my Cusco pitch stop. Engine noise is much louder and sounds more like a racecar haha

The calipers need to be taken off and rebuilt/powder coated. I'll likely do that over winter since it'll be sitting anyway.

Right now my focus needs to shift back to the Forester.. with its slew of issues. Notably, EGR CEL because I need to trick the ECU into thinking the EGR sensor reads something, a very loud exhaust leak (Stromung muffler on the way!) and confirm the clunking is the STi struts and replace them. Or whatever is actually making the noise.. Also replace the driver window motor which I have the part for.. just not the patience to remove the regulator again... After those items, should be CO winter ready!

· Registered
99 BDP RS
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,909 ·
As with most classic Impreza parts, they are becoming few and far between BNIB. Flatirons told me there weren’t much left.

· Registered
99 BDP RS
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,911 ·
I bought them off some rare parts group off FB years ago. I believe the seller was Edward Hamilton? I’m not certain these are still attainable from Prova, haven’t really looked.

· Registered
99 BDP RS
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,917 ·
Rear screen arrived mid last week but work was so hectic I didn't open it until the weekend. I now have yards and yards of bubblewrap to fulfill all my needs. 😂 The glass came intact although very dirty. One clip was broken, but no clue whether that was from shipping or from removing off the original car. The parcel shelf is absolute garbage (to me) so it won't be used. Rear wiper brought some UK rust with it (yay) but I'll sand it down and repaint it.

Hoping to have it installed soon. I need to verify with the glass installer if he can supply all the moldings, or if I should just buy them myself. In the meantime, I had ordered a 2007 WRX wagon stalk so I have the rear wiper switch and intermittent wipers for the front. Wiring this in will be completely beyond me, so I've asked a friend to help when the time comes. There should be more than enough info on RS25 to accomplish it. I haven't sourced a washer tank just yet.. I'm not really sure I'd use it so it's not a priority.

Other than that, this weekend a bunch of friends came over and we pulled the 2.2 out of the OBS. It's leaking out of every imaginable seal and gasket so we'll get it freshened up and throw it back in. I also picked up the lower dash parts and center console from an RS part out for it. Didn't get the piece around the HVAC, but someone on here is selling one. Just waiting on shipping quote. I'm trying not to go full idiot on that car since it's not even mine.. But it's really hard because these cars are so much fun to get JDM parts for.

Small but aesthetic update, I bought the new Grimmspeed black caps for various yellow-capped items in the RS. It looks much cleaner and I like the quality of them. I'd have preferred they try and replicate the caps to OEM instead of their logo on every single one.. but oh well. Just need to replace the yellow dipstick and maybe the radiator cap and it'll be much more subtle in there.

· Registered
99 BDP RS
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,918 ·
Took some time this weekend to remove the parcel shelf in the rear and swap in the wagon wiper switch from a WRX wagon.

I've been waiting over 3 weeks for the roof moldings to come in to my local dealer. The first set that came in were broken in shipping so they had to reorder. Kudos to them.. their counter guy told me they were in so I went to the dealer to pick them up. A different counter worker told me, yes, they're here but they are broken. Did no one call you? HA... yeah, I called you guys to confirm they were there. No one said they were broken.... ANYWAY.. The whole thing is waiting on those.

Forester got the foglight bulbs replaced

· Registered
Cheap Kitchens
2,920 Posts
I took the rear section of a bulk harness from a wagon and just chopped it up to fit the coupe, not sure how much easier that was but I didn't have any interior so it worked well for me. For some reason I still cannot get my wiper to return to the rest position, it always just stops mid sweep when I switch it off. I'm pretty sure the rear shelf cover has indents or perforations for the 3rd brake light cutout that is the same size/shape you need for the wiper. I'm interested to see how you tackle this

· Registered
99 BDP RS
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,920 ·
That’s not a bad idea actually.

I figured I’d have a friend help wire it up based on the northursalia DIY. I did order a relay off amayama and am hoping it’s correct haha. We’ll see. The install was supposed to happen two weeks ago but the installer cancelled due to personal matters and then I went out of town. Hopefully in a few weeks the glass will at least be in so I can tackle the wiring.

1901 - 1920 of 1928 Posts