Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1881 - 1900 of 1928 Posts

· Registered
99 BDP RS
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,883 ·
WOW!! WOWWWWW CONGRATS

You have PRICELESS friends btw. props to those guys! you must be a good friend yourself. this is what life experiences are all about. touching to say the least.
Oh absolutely, they are the best! I’m 100% serious when I say this swap couldn’t happen without them.
Awesome news, congratulations! The swap is a whole other world to the car.
Thank you! It’s been a long time coming. My ex had a few swaps in GF8s that made me realize it’s a necessity haha.
Epic update! How does it run?
Thank you! It’s actually enroute back to Colorado now. It’s been reported that my exhaust is nice and quiet until you get on it and not raspy at all, powerband is smooth, and Joe tuned it to somewhere around 235tq/250hp. I’m eagerly awaiting the moment it sits in the driveway.

· Premium Member
98 RS | 98 L Wagon
1,855 Posts
Yes!! I'm so stoked for you. Your car is such a looker too...this really rounds it out perfectly. You're gonna love it so much.

· Registered
2001 SRP RS Coupe, 05 FXT
524 Posts
So awesome! This car deserved to be swapped, and I love that everyone pulled together to help you out.

Did you change the track width to GD stuff? What's the benefit of running a GD steering column? Is it just to match up with your STi rack instead of using an adapter?

· Registered
99 BDP RS
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,887 ·
So awesome! This car deserved to be swapped, and I love that everyone pulled together to help you out.

Did you change the track width to GD stuff? What's the benefit of running a GD steering column? Is it just to match up with your STi rack instead of using an adapter?
Yeah, I swapped out the lateral links and LCAs to STi for the extra 11mm? I think it is. Don’t quote me on that haha

And we swapped to GD column to eliminate the L&E adapter I had as there have been cases of them causing a dead spot in steering. I have the 2015 STi rack and needed the L&E piece when I swapped it in years back.

· Registered
2001 SRP RS Coupe, 05 FXT
524 Posts
Yeah, I swapped out the lateral links and LCAs to STi for the extra 11mm? I think it is. Don’t quote me on that haha

And we swapped to GD column to eliminate the L&E adapter I had as there have been cases of them causing a dead spot in steering. I have the 2015 STi rack and needed the L&E piece when I swapped it in years back.
I think it's something like that.

Good to know on the L&E adapter, I hadn't heard about that. Will any GD column swap over?

· Registered
99 BDP RS
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,889 ·
I think it's something like that.

Good to know on the L&E adapter, I hadn't heard about that. Will any GD column swap over?
I didn’t see any issues with my L&E (yet) but seemed convenient to switch it out anyway.

As for what columns are plug and play… I wanna say 04-07 but I honestly don’t know

· Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
4,102 Posts
Honestly I've gone with L&E for both my swaps mainly so I didn't have to bother with changing the ignition or keys. I'd say the dead zone isn't so much due to the steering coupler itself as it is either a slow rack or the coupler being tightened on one end before being installed on the other so that it binds. The welds are kind of boogery (not a word, don't care) on them though.

· Registered
99 BDP RS
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,894 · (Edited)
Got the RS back, put the GC-010e's on and have been having a blast with it. The Forester is now the problem child with steering rack leak, motor replacement, steering lines had a hole rubbed though by the headers... now my steering pump is going out. Always something..

The tires do rub on the RS thanks to the extra width and the engine dropping the front springs more. The tune needs some more tweaking for my elevation but that's way outside of my knowledge. Maybe I'll fly Joe back out here to tweak it.

I also put on the Cusco front power brace thing and it looks cool. Does nothing... but looks.. cool lol. One thing to note if installing this... the drive side upper bolts when securely tightened, squeezed my hood release cable so that it no longer worked. I had to loosen the bolt on the brace to relieve some pressure and my release cable functions again.

NOTES:
2nd oil change done with Motul 5w30 full synthetic at 224,150mi on 8/20/2022

· Registered
99 BDP RS
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,895 ·
The car also got ceramic coated which makes washing it SO much easier. Only downside is I see a lot more of the paint blemishes.

Took a Saturday to take apart the interior and deep clean it as well. I had another set of the JDM hazard/defrost buttons and come to find out the lights work on them so I can actually see what button is what at night.

· Registered
Cheap Kitchens
2,920 Posts
Bast: takes apart the cleanest interior I ever seen to deep clean it more :LOL:
The Cusco brace does nothing? That's a part that I've been looking at but could never justify the cost. It does look pretty though

Reactions: Bast

· Registered
99 BDP RS
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,897 ·
Bast: takes apart the cleanest interior I ever seen to deep clean it more :LOL:
The Cusco brace does nothing? That's a part that I've been looking at but could never justify the cost. It does look pretty though
😂😂 there were dog hairs and dust in crevices that I was displeased with. In reality, the dog hair will always be there because having a shiba means an endless supply. But thank you for the compliment!

And yeah, that brace basically does nothing. No noticeable difference when driving with it. Just a cool piece that says I waste money 😂

1881 - 1900 of 1928 Posts