Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1721 - 1740 of 1775 Posts

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
208 Posts
That really fucking sucks....I'm really sorry to see this post. I'm so damn apprehensive to drive my car for fear of other drivers, especially after all the body work and paint. I know full well that insurance will never even come close to properly reimbursing me for a 20 year old Subaru with 136k on her. On a different note, I'm a relatively new member - 4-5 years so I have some experience with the previous format compared to the new. Yes it's ugly, more difficult to navigate (I still have no idea how to simply delete old PMs and my inbox is just about full), and the ads are absolutely infuriating but the members seem cool and this community is still dedicated and helpful. As shitty as new ownership may be in managing the site, the soul is still embodied in the members and their contributions. Much of the time, the world is what you make of it. I empathize your loss and genuinely hope for a positive resolution.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,795 Posts
Let this be a lesson. If you want insurance to fix your car after making a major investment you need to disclose that investment, with receipts to your insurance company.

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,724
Let this be a lesson. If you want insurance to fix your car after making a major investment you need to disclose that investment, with receipts to your insurance company.
I actually have aftermarket/custom parts coverage which really saved my ass on getting a bit more value. That said, I had to make a big stink about it in order to get it paid out.

It's been a really annoying experience with insurance right from the start. The rep that was assigned to my claim was a complete asshat from the moment he called me. He never called me to update me on things, never gave me any options, didn't answer my questions and was completely uninterested in helping me. I sent them thousands of dollars worth of receipts for everything I had recently done (motor rebuild, transmission refresh, Prodrve parts, etc) and when the valuation finally came.. they added $53 for a $3200 motor rebuild and neglected all the other items I sent over. They also compared my car to two RS sedans and an L. I had.. a lot to say about that to my rep. He actually said, "It's a 30 year old Subaru.. it isn't worth anything." I got a real kick out of that.

Anyway, after 3.5 weeks of torture with him, it turns out that he was let go so I was reassigned someone else. The new lady was completely on it and is a self proclaimed 'hot-rodder' so she says she understands unloading a lot of money in old cars. As it stands, my car was valued at $3,211 and some change. This is after my $500 deductible, salvage and blah blah blah. The new rep also cut me a check for $1,500 for my aftermarket coverage and is working on getting me a higher value with my receipts and better comps in the area. I sent her a good list of RS coupes for sale off Craigslist and RS25. We'll see what happens.. There's a lot of details in the story that I don't feel like going over again haha. It's been a bloody nightmare but so far, my insurance is doing what they can to turn around my horrible experience.

It sucks the car is a total loss but it's not the end of the world. What was damaged is easily replaced: hood, lights, grille, radiator, upper rad support and some other small items. The motor appears to be fine and there's no frame damage, so that's a win. No Prodrive parts were damaged; another win! No injuries sustained, no airbags deployed and my dog didn't even smack into the glove box, even better! So yeah.. I no longer have a clean title RS but I still have an RS.

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,326 Posts
Yea I was going to say when I saw the pic, it's totally totaled in insurances eyes, but not ours. Very sad to see this.

Not trying to be that guy but I do have a lot of spare parts so if I can help any just lmk. It's why I don't toss anything, to keep these babies running

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,726
I appreciate it! I've already replaced most everything and the shop ordered the small bits for me.

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
795 Posts
Bummer. Not the kind of updates I like to see. Dealing with insurance sucks....I know how that stuff goes. Glad to see you’re keeping it and having it fixed though. Welcome to the salvaged/rebuilt title club :lol:

·
Registered
2008 Impreza 2.5i
21 Posts
I’ve been following your thread since I found the forum. Sorry about your car, it’s one of my favorite builds. I hope you get it all sorted out and back on the road.

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,729
I’ve been following your thread since I found the forum. Sorry about your car, it’s one of my favorite builds. I hope you get it all sorted out and back on the road.
Thanks! It'll be back up and running soonish.

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,730
On a side note, I ordered some Prova blue mirrors as a 'get well soon' gift for the car.

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,731
The shop called me a little bit ago.. The place they ordered my hood from 1.5-2 weeks ago emailed them and canceled the order for whatever reason. So my guy quickly found a new hood and passenger fender for cheaper than what the other one cost anyway. So despite the slow turnaround, at least I'm saving some money haha. Otherwise we're still waiting on the other parts to arrive. These Subaru warehouse/discount pricing places take foreeeeever to fulfill orders. This is when I really miss subarugenuineparts. Like, REALLY miss it. The shop also offered for me to come in and help with the repairs to further reduce cost. I've no experience, but I can at least learn some things so that's pretty rad.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,029 Posts
The problem is all of those Subaru online parts websites is that they are all just subaru dealers, when Jamie left chaplins it took a huge chunk out of everyone buying parts online, they were the biggest online sales in the company.

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,733
The problem is all of those Subaru online parts websites is that they are all just subaru dealers, when Jamie left chaplins it took a huge chunk out of everyone buying parts online, they were the biggest online sales in the company.
I could believe that haha. The best part was that I wasn't far from her, so my shipping was quicker (or so it felt like). All the other places I've used since have been midwest - east coast.

Sad news from insurance.. they couldn't offer me more. They were saying despite the value I see online, when they entered a 98 or 00/01 vs my 99, they "couldn't compare them because the motors were different". But they had no issue comparing a 2.2l L. So, yeah.. I don't know. After a month of back and forth with them, I'm done with it. I basically received $4,700 and that's all I will get. Shitty.. but it is what it is.

I've been looking into maybe getting an 03-08 Forester; leaning more towards the 03-05. There are a few locally that are under $4,000 and may be worth getting just to putz around in. But, I'm afraid if I get one, I'll just go mod crazy on that too and really dig myself into a financial hole ?

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,737
Just some random photos of carnage.

It's taking a lot longer than I anticipated (though, that seems to be this car's MO) but thankfully I have a coworker providing me rides to and from work. The shop said they'll shave down the GT Spec braces a bit at the top so they don't dent the inside of my new fender and they'll try and reduce the dent on the remaining one. It should be ready for paint next week then I'll have my tech check the timing and whatever else engine-wise. They said they'd also repaint my bumper since it was super rock chipped and a few scrapes from the other vehicle. Guess I should look into paint protection for the front, huh?

I was also thinking of getting a double-din system but unsure of which one to get. I want touchscreen and Apple CarPlay but that's really it. Well, and USB connection I guess. I was looking at the Pioneer AVH-1300NEX on Amazon and it's got decent reviews. Plus, it'd be nice to throw in a backup camera just because.

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,739
Yeah, for a rear end accident.. I got away pretty well with damage. I would have been really bummed if someone had hit me and/or the bumper/spotlights got damaged.

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
590 Posts
That's totally fixable. Maybe you can stash some of that for a turbo swap.

I have a W650 and AVX7000. The Alpine has time adjustment but meh buttons. The Sony looks much cleaner and has a better UI but no time adjustments.

-TC

1721 - 1740 of 1775 Posts