Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

141 - 160 of 1736 Posts

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Thanks Chaz; I love this bumper! Would you be going back to OR?

Haha, if there was ever a time to ding up a car it would be before taking it in for repairs/paint. I still hate that it happened but it didn't raise the estimate too much. I'm trying not to have too high of expectations, as it is Maaco. Fingers and toes crossed ;)

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Just a single stage. It's staying the same stock color anyway. I think he said something about giving me "better" paint at a lower cost. I was aiming for the two stage but it would have blown my budget.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza OBS
193 Posts
Yeah I have the single stage of urethane. They were running a 50 percent off paint so that helped me out

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Nice!

Looking at the invoice, it's a single-stage urethane and sealer with 3-year warranty. Any peeling, cracking or loss of gloss I can bring it back. The body work and plethora of removed/extra parts is what racked up the cost for me haha.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza OBS
193 Posts
Yeah I have the same. 3 year warranty. It looks good let me tell you, you'll be happy with it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1999 RSTi coupe
402 Posts
Thanks Chaz; I love this bumper! Would you be going back to OR?

Haha, if there was ever a time to ding up a car it would be before taking it in for repairs/paint. I still hate that it happened but it didn't raise the estimate too much. I'm trying not to have too high of expectations, as it is Maaco. Fingers and toes crossed ;)
That's the plan. Just not sure exactly where in OR though.

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I miss Portland like crazy.. Such amazing food, bars and nature. I would suggest there.. hah

·
Registered
1999 RSTi coupe
402 Posts
It's definitely an option. I'm a So. Oregon guy though. Klamath Basin, Rogue Valley area. Wouldn't mind Hood River area or even Coos Bay or someone along the coast. Hell, anywhere in Oregon would be better than El Paso.

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Maaco called this morning--not picking up the car tomorrow.

He said the paint had a chemical reaction and created fisheyes all over the car. From what I read, that's from poor prep work. Yeah, I know, "You get what you pay for." yadda yadda.. I'm hoping that this second time around they pay extra attention to their prep and do it even better. If not, they'll just have to do it again until I'm satisfied. I'm at least thankful that they didn't try to deliver it in that condition.

Now I have to drive this obnoxious thing around.

·
Registered
1999 RSTi coupe
402 Posts
At least they called and told you that. So many places here will pass if off saying it's normal and that it will "go away" on it's own.

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Oh for sure haha. I thanked him for his quality control.

I just really want my car back and to put the v6 wing on.

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #154 (Edited)
Finally picked her up; yay all one color!

I didn't get any better photos while putting it back together. I also didn't take any when I first saw it all disassembled. I was tired, grumpy, hungry and in a rush. Just imagine no bumpers, spoiler, lights, etc.

A few things about Maaco; orange peel is abundant, I expected that. There are a couple drips and some parts were not painted well. I expected that too. All in all, it's a decent paint job and I'm happy to have everything all the same color, shiny, and no rust or dings (and 3 year warranty). Once the paint has cured long enough I'll see what can be done about the peel.

There was instance where I got pissed off. My hood would not lock shut and was wiggling about. I tell the guy at the desk about it and he comes out to look. He says, "Oh, just don't go fast on the highway. Take the side streets and you'll be fine," Okay cool, you want me to drive away from your business with an unsecured hood? Will you be replacing my windshield when it flies open? Eff that, I got another person to look at it and they fixed it. /rant

I didn't put everything back on when I was there.

So, things to put on:
hood scoop
side moldings
side skirts
fog lights
spats
roof trim

I should probably revitalize my exhaust tip too. It's looking rather drab.

We're leaving for Indiana tomorrow for Tyler's grandmother's 80th birthday so no time for better photos. Sorrrrrry.

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Thank you! It's definitely an improvement over how it was previously.

In other news, a fellow RS owner back in the PNW is selling me his 70k RS steering rack. The money I save on the used part will go towards Whiteline bushings. Making progress on fixing all the issues.

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #157 (Edited)

How she looked before we left Friday afternoon. Can't wait to get back and finish ha. Need better photos than underground garage ones.

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #160 (Edited)
School parking this morning.

I should be receiving my steering rack tomorrow. Turns out, he sent me a 40k 07 2.5i Impreza rack and pinion along with the 99 RS rack (and the steering pump, hoses and TREs). I'm under the impression that there is no difference in racks between the 99 and 07. So if not, I'll use the newer one for sure.

141 - 160 of 1736 Posts