Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2000 RS
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my GC a couple of weeks ago and after looking at the V6 lip, I knew that's what I wanted. I looked around and decided to go with the Bakemono lip because it specifically states on the site that it's "no ebay" lip and that everything is pre-drilled ready to install.

I took the bumper off in order to install the lip easier and it was a pain in the arse. The lip is about half an inch short and the holes are drilled in the wrong place. I had to stretch the crap out of it in order to make it reach and I even had to remove material from the bumper sides as well.

I would not recommend this lip because it just don't fit well. I wish the seller would state this on the site because fitment sucks and I don't think it's any different than an ebay one. At least with an ebay one I would have been able to drill the holes myself in the correct location.

I emailed the seller after installing it to see if I can return it and no response to my email.

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
To be honest, it doesn't look like you installed it correctly. It's sitting up too high. I haven't heard of any fitment issues with bakemono's lips either, hmmm

·
Registered
2000 RS
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed everything on the predrilled holes, so everything was installed as intended. It's actually installed too low on the sides. The side holes are predrilled wrong making the lip sit lower.

Here is another review stating the same issues:
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f119/t85357-bakemono-replica-v6-sti-front-lip.html

I also have a friend who bought and has the same lip and it has the same issues as well.

·
Registered
2000 RS
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to have to chop it to make it fine right. Will post pics once I'm done. Funny how some reviews of the Ebay ones state that they fit perfect.

·
OG GC
OG 01 STM 2.5 RS
1,506 Posts
Yeah the Bakemono lip is off by a bit, its been discussed before. Trey is pretty good about customer service and satisfaction so I'm sure he'll respond, been dealing with him since he started importing and making parts. I can't really tell how bad it is since you took the pics at night, here's a pic of mine so you can see the fitment issue which sits a little high on the left side. Also you went through a lot to mount it, I did not have to take the bumper skin off at all.

·
Registered
2000 RS
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's about half an inch too short and it's high where the vents are on the sides. Instead of matching the lines of the vents, it goes higher and covers the ends of them.

He has not responded to my email/s. I don't think he's truthful in this product because he clearly states on his site that this is no "ebay" one and that everything is pre-drilled ready to install. He should mention that the lip is too short and the holes are drilled in the wrong locations. I would have just taken my chances with an ebay one if I knew this, but his statements on the site assured me that there would be no problem.

I took the bumper off to make sure I had room, etc, but was dissapointed when I saw that it was not going to fit properly. I'm going to make it fit as if it were oem by chopping and putting it back together, at worst, I will just destroy it.

·
Registered
2000 STM RS Coupe
1,116 Posts
Mine was about an inch short also. I received mine in christmas as a present to myself but didnt get around to installing it until late spring and had already left feedback by then and didnt feel like contacting trey.

I just cut the ends that are supposed to wrap around the corners of the bumper off and drilled holes to make it fit where I wanted. I got it on sale so I'm not too upset.

·
Registered
2000 RS
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up paying about 145+ I believe, so it wasn't as cheap as an ebay one either. It will need alot of modification to fit properly. Most likely I will have to take the bumper off again in order to test, cut, test, etc.

·
Registered
2000 STM RS Coupe
1,116 Posts
I think I got mine on sale for around 110. Idk mine has "ok" fitment. It was short so it doesnt fit the curve around the vents on the sides of the bumper perfect and like I said i had to cut the lip to make it fit like that so it looks bad if you look in the wheel wells :lol: idk seems like this polyurethane or whatever is hard to mold right or something cause there's this issue with Trey's and the ones on ebay are all warped on the bottom..

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
That sucks, sorry to hear that. Has anyone tried heating it up with a heat gun prior to or during installation?

·
Registered
2000 STM RS Coupe
1,116 Posts
I dont get how you would get the extra half inch or so to make it actually fit then. All the heat would do is make it bend easier..

·
Registered
2000 RS
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will cut it and move back that piece so it will match right on. I will then fill in the other parts. I'm going to do the same with the pieces whee the vents are so they match perfectly.

·
Registered
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5 Rs
3,712 Posts
Yeah these lips fit horribly.

With me pulling down very hard to make it line up with the vent

Without pulling it down

If you ask me this lip isn't worth $150 bucks. They are a complete rip off and fit like garbage. I don't believe that spending that kind of money on a lip should have to be modded to fit in and still be a little messed up.

Here is a $75 shipped ebay lip. This is staying on without even fastening it. Zero fitment issues, has the nice line on it, and nice and smooth. Only issue with the ebay is in the middle is slightly wavey. I purchased the ebay lip first and wanted something that didn't have waves. Silly me thought one that cost double the price should be 2x better....silly me.

I will say that I expressed my concern with Trey and he said he'd refund my money once I shipped it back. Took it to ship and got quoted basically 80 bucks for me to go from Pa to Ca. I expressed my concern with Trey again letting him know it wouldn't be worth to ship back. He Gave me some hints to ship back with other places or even somehow "rolling the lip" and boxing it in a smaller box. Unfortunately the other shipping options aren't very convenient for me. I also haven't been able to come across a box I could "roll" the lip into. Still wasn't very happy about having to pay to ship it back either. I felt that should have been picked up for selling such a crappy lip.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Yeah I could deal with the wavey ebay lip over the bakemono lip. The ebay will be my winter lip once I get the P1 lip.

·
Registered
2000 STM RS Coupe
1,116 Posts
Exactly how mine fit.. I'm disappointed in the quality of this piece since all of Trey's other products I read nothing but good quality reviews about.. Shame this lip isnt like his other products..

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Yeah I had his S201 fiberglass scoop which was decent but decided to get his carbon fiber high rise which I love. Both fit pretty nice.

·
Registered
2000 RS
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Exactly all the issues I have. The issues of the lip rising above is because it's too low on the sides where it attaches to the ends of the bumper. You need to redrill the holes in the correct location in order to bring it up properly. Now, the gap in the front cannot be fixed because the lip is just too short.

At least you got an answer from him, never replied to my email requesting my money back. It's misleading to say that his lip is better when it's worst than the ebay ones. The only way to fix it is buy cutting it and making it fit properly. My guess is that his mold is bad and knowingly is selling these bad lips knowing that no one is going to ship it back at their cost.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts