-Carbon fiber roof vent (Bakemono)
-Carbon fiber roof (Bakemono)
-Carbon fiber doors (Bakemono)
-2000 WRC Carbon Fiber roof scoop
-2000 WRC Carbon Fiber front bumper w/ L'aunsports lower grill
-Aerosim Carbon fiber 1999/2000 WRC rear bumper
-CF tail light trim (Bakemono)
-Bakemono Carbon Fiber High Rise scoop
-Mocal aluminum aircraft gas filler cap (lockable)
-removed moldings
-JDM tails
-22B fender emblems

Interior
-Prodrive steering wheel
-Flocked dash
-STI V-limited shift knob
-JDM gauge cluster w/ 10k tach
-Bakemono carbon fiber door panels
-Bakemono carbon fiber rear quarter interior panels
-Bakemono carbon fiber bulkhead

Story Begins
My car started out as a white 1996 STI Version 3 RA that I bought after looking at car ads online in late 2004 (I should have been posting about it this whole time). I went to college in Tokyo, but was going to go back to the US for my first full-time job, and found a deal for my dream car (sorta) in Tochigi prefecture Japan. It had 80,000km on it at the time, and was wreck free, save for a few minor bumps and dings. The pictures I had of it were lost on the plane ride back (dont' buy discount PNY memory cards), but here is an idea of what I had.

It was sad to take her to the chopper for the ride home. About a month later, she came in. Not knowing much about container shipping at the time, I had a Seattle-based company ship the car. When it arrived, I bought 2 plane tickets to Seattle, rented a u-haul there and drove the thing back to Los Angeles with my dad. The doors, door panels, trunk, wing, dash, rear bumper (mistake to have sold it), and wheels were sold off to offset some of the cost. I mistakenly left the RA roof at the warehouse, but the guy sold it off to someone for $75. :( In selling some of these parts, I met a lot of local RS owners I'm still friends with.

Anyway, I needed an untainted shell to accept the JDM goodness, and luckily enough found a black 98 rs on ebay with a blown motor....and a few broken windows, because someone wanted to steal the hotness, aka stock radio. They broke the passenger window, the rear quarter window, and the trunk...all to get...the stock radio. Whoever they were, they were nice enough to cut all the radio wires instead of just, um...unplugging it. The white lines you see on the side of the car is from the duct tape the seller used to tape painters plastic over the windows so no rain would get in.

There was a great deal with the car that needed to be improved. When I was in Japan, there were a 2 guys with immaculate v6 type R's that I raced around with...well one was a v5. I wanted to emulate those cars so badly (I wish I still had pictures) and had a really hard time sourcing the parts I wanted. I started using contacts I still had in Japan from when I worked in Toyota City, Japan and started Bakemono Imports as a hobby/way to get parts/way to fund what was quickly becoming a pretty expensive project.[/QUOTE]

·
Banned
www.bakemono-imports.com
2,636 Posts
STI version 3 RA motor swap

I pulled the motor/auto trans in my driveway, which sorta pissed off the landlord, so I had to find a place that would do the swap for me.

The car was taken to Rallysport Engineering for the swap, but he couldn't handle the wiring so I ended up meeting a guy named Kevin Wentzel at Garage Tuning. :)

I don't have too many pics of the car while it was at Garage Tuning. (i'll post the ones I have when I get home). The swap took a bit longer than expected do to a few unforseen problems:

PROBLEM 1) The rear brakes were a problem, because the v3 RA had a non-vented rear disk that fit over r180hubs (using a 190mm e-brake). I eventually sourced some rotors from Stoptech that had to be redrilled, but fit.

PROBLEM 2) Kevin did what he could, but eventually had to get the Japanese wiring diagrams for the version 3 STI. I scanned the book, translated and photoshopped all the english in (about 15-20 hours of work). After that was done, Kevin did his magic, and the car didn't take too long afterwards.

PROBLEM 3) I was using a version 4 gauge cluster with a version 3 cable-fed transmission and wiring. We used the speed sensor from the 98 tranny and with some wiring magic Kevin/Brian got all that to work, except the DCCD indicator. I only got that working recently.

·
Banned
www.bakemono-imports.com
2,636 Posts
Methanol Injection and Tune at Harman Motive

Next on the agenda was the tune. I couldn't really crank the car the same way as with JDM gas, so it had to be remapped good ol' California 91 sludge. I set up an appointment with [email protected] Harman Motive.
My dad convinced me to get alcohol injection before the tune, which I ended up doing. This has probably been one of my favorite mods to date. The car has a powerFC in it, so there is a map for 91octane and 91 with methanol. You can see the difference in the dyno chart, and can most certainly feel it. I had a leaky exhaust manifold (leaking out of the expansion joints), so I couldn't get the full tune... Dan left me with a "conservative tune," which will be redone when I replace the manifold and clean up the engine bay a bit.

Anyway, here are the stats:
Un-tuned: 220 whp 240ft/lbs torque
Tuned on 91: 244.88 whp 259.31 ft/lbs torque
Tuned on 91+methanol: 269.84 whp 303.03 ft/lbs torque

·
Banned
www.bakemono-imports.com
2,636 Posts
RA Roof Swap

Kevin's 2nd container came in and I bought a couple goodies: a bolt in Safety21 rollcage (yes bolt in) and an RA roof. I have never touched a welder so I took the car to someone recommended to me for the roof swap. He told me that in addition, he would primer the car and take out a bunch of the imperfections....had I known what I was gonna get, I would have said no. The car went in black and came out like this:

Sexy color eh? :bonk:

He also welded the roof in with the v3 sti seats still in, so they got weld burns on them. I ended up getting rid of the seats.

·
Banned
www.bakemono-imports.com
2,636 Posts
Safety21 Rollcage Install

After this came the rollcage install. I sanded the cage down and painted it with rustoleum dark gray Hammerite paint. This is one of the mods I would have preferred to do differently. I would have liked to (and should have) opted for a fully built up cage.

·
DemodderedOGmoss
05 LGT, 06 WRX wag, ZX6R
4,654 Posts
What happened to the lip from the Ver 3?

The yellow primer is kinda hot(cashmire yellow/blaze yellow), but shitty about the retard welding WITH the seats in the car.

·
Banned
www.bakemono-imports.com
2,636 Posts
WRC Prototype Hood

With the cage in, I was starting to think about what I wanted to do exterior wise... I never really had a solid theme. When I first got the car back from Garage Tuning, the first thing to go was the 98RS bumper. I originally wanted a 99-01 RS front bumper, but decided to keep my version 3 bumper since, at the time, it was much less common. I bought an STI lip (ABS replica) which I really liked. For the rear spoiler, I never really liked the 2.5RS/v3/v4 spoiler, but was in love with the v6 spoiler. I bought one in Japan and paid a shop to make a small run of them in carbon fiber (which I am only NOW receiving after 7 months).

Long story short, the car seemed like a bit of an STI grabbag.... v3 bumper, v3 seats (ruined), v4 dash/gauges (LHD RS dash), and a potential v6 wing. Besides...I wanted my car to be a little original, and somewhat harder to copy.

After getting laughed at for my car's confused state by one of my suppliers in Japan (mostly laughing at my sexy yellow primer), he told me to scrap that plan and that he would help me source some hand-me-down WRC parts if I went with a WRC-ish theme (minus the rally blue paint job). As it stands right now, that's the direction I'm going with.

A week later he found me an old Prodrive prototype 99 style WRC hood that AVIS had in their shop to use as a prototype for their own WRC carbon hoods.

Here's the hood just laid on top of mine.

He also ended up finding me a genuine adjustable 22B spoiler. I'll take pics of this later.

·
Banned
www.bakemono-imports.com
2,636 Posts
What happened to the lip from the Ver 3?

The yellow primer is kinda hot(cashmire yellow/blaze yellow), but shitty about the retard welding WITH the seats in the car.
I still have the lip, but I can't find pics of the car with it. I'll show some pics when I find them. The seats ended up finding a good home, and I believe the guy had them reupholstered.

·
Banned
www.bakemono-imports.com
2,636 Posts
Metal Widebody in Progress

With the WRC theme decided on, I decided to bite the bullet and go for a widebody. It was going to take awhile to get the rest of the goodies piece by piece, and I was always skeptical of fiberglass, so I went with a custom metal widebody. So far its been about 3 1/2 months, but here are some pics.

·
Banned
www.bakemono-imports.com
2,636 Posts
Wheels: Gold Volk CE28 17 x 8.5

Pretty much...the car has gotten uglier quicker than its gotten better looking. It has a white RA vent (since the guy never primered it), white right front fender, black front left fender and yellow goodness for the rest. On a plus side, the car is going to sport these:

Volk CE28's 17x 8.5. Anyone have any suggestion for tire size or just tires in general?

·
Banned
www.bakemono-imports.com
2,636 Posts
22B Front Seats

What'd you do with the ruined seats?
I was going to fix those seats and use them, but I found some seats I couldn't pass up so I sold them. Here are the ones I got. Look familiar?

Someone in Japan bought a 22B to use on the track, so I picked up the seats and wheels. I ended up giving up/selling the wheels to one of my suppliers. He wanted them badly and has helped me out a great deal getting parts for my own car and many people on the the boards, so...

The driver seat had a tear, but I got it reupholstered and you can't tell the difference now...although the stitching isn't as nice as I would like.

1 - 20 of 1361 Posts