Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
rs2.5-sti hybrid
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just put my engine back together, last week. i racked up 800 miles since then very safely. but i have an oil leak. i think its coming from my head gasket. is this because the gaskets set, and i just need to torque them down?

·
Premium Member
'01 RSTi
660 Posts
Oil coming from the head gasket would indicate possible oil blow-by from the piston rings, or maybe from the head. Either of these would not be corrected by torquing the head gasket, as oil should not be in the combustion chamber at all.

Try to find out where the oil is coming from...

·
Registered
rs2.5-sti hybrid
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well?... i am waiting on my buddies shop to make room for me. but im restless knowing i have a slow oil leak. so like anyone else i keep going outside and taking a peak every now and then. now im noticing that there is a small oil trail coming from the valve covers... i really dont wanna over tighten them, and i put on all new seals... so should i give the bolts a little extra turn?

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
i'd take them off to make sure all the seals are seated right before I started torquing them down more.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Oil coming from the head gasket would indicate possible oil blow-by from the piston rings, or maybe from the head. Either of these would not be corrected by torquing the head gasket, as oil should not be in the combustion chamber at all.

Try to find out where the oil is coming from...
if its excessive blow by it would be coming from a pcv valve and or hose.

To make sure its coming from the head gasket you may buy a leak detector kit and use it to see where the oils coming from....hint hint whipe off old oil leak before using a leak detector kit

if its leaking from the head gasket you must replace the head gasket. when ever putting a head back onto a motor you must be 100 % sure the gasket is seated properly before torquing the bolts. in proper torque percedure or incorrect torq could warm the gasket causing a slow leak. since its now leaking you must replace the head gasket and follow oem torque percedure. by tightening the bolts more now the head gasket has been ruined by the leak and will always cause a small leak, the exception to that rule is a metal reusable gasket

when you have the heads off you must check the head and deck of the block for warpage with a straight edge and feeler gauges, that could also be a reason why the head gasket is leaking.

also make sure the head bolts you have are reusable, almost all cars have head bolts that are strech bolts and must be replaced and can not be reused. This is due to the fact is once there streched out and removed from the motor, when you go to put it back into the motor it will not hold as tightly as a new strech bolt causing leaks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts