Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my belts always squeaked a little bit when i would turn my wheels all the way to one side.

So i decided to buy a can of belt conditioner and try to eliminate the slight squeaks.

After i sprayed the conditioner on the pulleys like i was instructed to do, and no more squeaks.

About a week after my car started to make this whine that would increase with the speed of the engine. Sometimes it would be louder then other times.

Took everything apart tonight, and i narrowed it down to the idler pulley, i took it off and spun it in my hand and it feel like there were rocks stuck in it. So i took the cover off, cleaned the bearing and re lubricated.

Put everything back together, noise is still there but much more quite.

Heres a video of after i cleaned it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXej4PmypzA

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Dude.....replace the bad idler pulley. The bearing is bad. The lube quieted it down some, but it will come back worse than before. Do not try to band-aid the noise and wonder why it failed. Trust me when I say that spending a little now will save you more later.

Turning the wheel all the way to one side or the other puts a big strain on the PS pump. That belt will squeak when it's too lose or worn out. The cost of a can of belt dressing is probably better spent on a new belt.

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the can for a dollar... just to try it out (never again tho)

The belts are brand new, and i have already tightened them twice.

I wasn't asking how to fix the bearing, i was asking if it sounded like a bad idler, and if i should replace it....

·
Registered
00 Subaru Impreza RS
349 Posts
Well, can't seem to narrow down a squeak that i have when it it wet outside. It a quieter chirp, not like a loud squeal when the belt is loose or over tightened. Not sure if its a pulley or a belt. Belt looks almost new!

·
Registered
00 Subaru Impreza RS
349 Posts
well...it got worse today and i think i found where the problem is. I feel its the crank pulley or pulley next to it (Tensioner Pulley i think). Well, I think its time for the light weight upgrade unless anyone else thinks otherwise. :)

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pretty common i think when your belts are wet.

BTW, the tensioner pulley i was talking about completely broke off the other day. i have a new one now but i need a new assembly now too...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts