Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 days ago, I started noticing a knocking noise coming from the left rear of the car. It wasn't that noticeable and it went away under load. Then yesterday, over the course of my 35 mile highway commute, it got ALOT worse. A thumping knocking noise that increases with speed. I got the car home, jacked up the left rear wheel and gave it a good rotational wiggle. The wheel did seem to have quite a bit of slop, but the boots are fine, and there is no grease around the axle. Now here is where you will all chew me out. I am using used tires. 2 different brands, fronts 205/55 the rears 205/50. So is it possible that through my inability to afford good tires I have ruined my diff?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
Define "quite a big of slop". Your wheel should do absolutely nothing more than just spin. Any other movement aside from spinning means your wheel bearings are going.

I suggest putting the car on jackstands, firing up the car, and put it in drive and have the car go 5 mph or something slow. Just enough to see if you can replicate the noise with zero load on the car.

I'd also check your struts. Make sure there all bolted down where they're suppose to be.

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I may not have been clear. I meant slop as in if I rotate "roll" the tire back and forth I can feel the axle take just a second to catch if I reverse directions. Inward/outward play indiscernable if any.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
739 Posts
With different size tires you may not have done your diff any favours unfortunately...

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Pretty sure that it taking a second to catch is normal. I really can't test it out, since my car has a rear LSD, not open diff like your RS.

Also, different sized front and different sized rear isn't going to mess with the rear diff anyways. It's going to mess with your center diff, that's inside your transmission.

·
Registered
98 Red OBS
268 Posts
Well. I just replaced 2 axles this weekend. I had a snap inside the boot from The rear axle and the front axle was making a tapping sound. When i spun the front only one wheel spun as to both.

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have a new axle coming. Should be able to put it on soon.
soon

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
I just went online to Autozone and checked to see if the local store had a reman axle. For me, I had 3 Autozones to chose from and one of them had 2 on hand. Ordered it up, then went to the store to pick it up. 16 bolts and 2 pins later, axles replaced.

·
Registered
98 Red OBS
268 Posts
The hardest part is removing the roll pin that holds it to the trans! Make sure you mark your bolts and nut from the strut this way you keep you alignment

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Don't see how the roll pin is the hardest part, unless you don't have a punch set or allen wrench set.

·
Registered
20 Posts
a little tricked i learned from my time doing honda swaps a correct sized allen wrech and a hydrulic jack will make quick work of roll pins

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
I've never seen a roll pin that has been that rusted in there or even rusted at all. Allen wrench/punch with a regular claw hammer should be more than enough to get them out.

It's location isn't really a spot that rusts and the thing tends to be covered in old oil or grease.

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have done a few cv axles, but they have been fronts and only knocked when I turned.

·
Registered
00'RS/02' WRX stgEleventy
2,144 Posts
I just went online to Autozone and checked to see if the local store had a reman axle. For me, I had 3 Autozones to chose from and one of them had 2 on hand. Ordered it up, then went to the store to pick it up. 16 bolts and 2 pins later, axles replaced.
You're gonna have a bad time with AutoBone axles.. if you start feeling wobbles or hearing pops.. be suspect

Sent from an other planet (Tapatalk)

·
Registered
00'RS/02' WRX stgEleventy
2,144 Posts
The hardest part is removing the roll pin that holds it to the trans! Make sure you mark your bolts and nut from the strut this way you keep you alignment
No need to ruin alignment if you pop the lower ball joint.. it can also let you know if you have bad ball joints by releasing them and physically moving them to check for play

How did you do putting the roll pins back in?

You know they only go in one way right? Or I should say they'll only go in with the axle one way on the axle stub.. the hole is drilled offset.. if the pin stops at the 1/4" mark you have to pull the axle off the stub and rotate it 180* on the stub

·
Registered
98 Red OBS
268 Posts
No need to ruin alignment if you pop the lower ball joint.. it can also let you know if you have bad ball joints by releasing them and physically moving them to check for play

How did you do putting the roll pins back in?

You know they only go in one way right? Or I should say they'll only go in with the axle one way on the axle stub.. the hole is drilled offset.. if the pin stops at the 1/4" mark you have to pull the axle off the stub and rotate it 180* on the stub

The install of the pin was pretty easy I thought it was harder than what it really was. On the axle itself you have one side that is a straight cut hole and the other opening is beveled. This was the side I used to put the new pin in.

I meant it as to say its so easy that the spring pin or roll pin is the hardest part! I used a Punch and hammer to knock it out, other than that It was and hour job max! For me at least. A friend of mine owns a shop so doing this on a lift cuts time in half!

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
You're gonna have a bad time with AutoBone axles.. if you start feeling wobbles or hearing pops.. be suspect

Why? It's an OEM Subaru part that's remanufactured by an outside company that Autozone contracted.

Now, I'm not going to buy a brand new Autozone axle, but I'm not going to be buying a new, non-OEM axle to begin with.

It was and hour job max! For me at least. A friend of mine owns a shop so doing this on a lift cuts time in half!
Hope you took a lot of breaks or something for that hour. Even without a lift, it wouldn't take me over 30 mins to swap the front axles.

The rears are harder, cause of the stupid lateral bolt. I end up just dropping the rear diff to get the axles out.

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Ah, ya, first time always takes a while to do. Waiting to see how long it'll take me to do my clutch, since it needs replacing. It took me 2 days to do a tranny/diff swap (lots of breaks and so many rust welded bolts). I'm hoping to do the clutch and flywheel in under 6 hours now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts