Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
MY98 2.5RS Coupe Brilliant Red
880 Posts
Well that answers why my hazard light switch and rear defogger buttons don't light up. I'm going to look as well, but if someone finds ways to fix, please let us know. I'll look in my online manual thingy and see what I can find.

AJ

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
I've been curious about this as well. The hazard light is the only thing on my dash that doesn't light up!:curse: If/when you find out how to fix it, please let us know! I may try to take it apart sometime this week to see what I need to do.

·
Registered
2000 BRP
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hahah...this looks like a rampat problem for us gc's eh? Well, if someone doesn't post how to do it soon, i guess I'll try ripping that button off myself. though, i'm lousy at taking out interior panels.. lol

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
I'm not bad at taking off trim panels, but I don't know how easy it will be for me to do since I recently mounted two gauges on the steering column. I will look into it, though.:)

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Mitchell On-Demand says the following...
Pry switch out of panel with small screwdriver. To install, reverse removal procedures
:rolleyes:

Well, I had my dash apart this weekend to install my keyless entry (and "carbon fiber trim") and saw that you can easily remove that switch. Just take out the pieces like you would to work on your radio (starting with the piece around the E-brake handle and working past the shifter and then trim around the stereo, followed by trim around vents) and you should be able to get the switch out.

I'm trying to find a way to get the figures off this program, but can't other than print it. Here's more instructions.

Continuity should exist between terminals No. 2 and 4 at all times. Continuity should exist between terminals No. 1, 3 and 5 only when switch is in ON position. If continuity is not as specified, replace rear defogger switch
As far as I can tell, the YEL/BLU wire is the positive wire for the illumination circuit, with the WHT/YEL wire being the negative. It shows a bulb in the switch unit. Whether that bulb can be replaced or not, I'm not sure.

I have access to some really good wiring diagrams that I can print off my computer. If anyone would like a set of some, I'd be more than willing to print stuff off. PM me and I'll tell ya what I'd like ya to do.

AJ

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Any word on this? Has anyone tried to fix this bulb? School kinda gets in the way for me, so I havn't taken the dash apart in a while. Just checking in and bringin the post back to life.

AJ

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
I pulled the switch out today; it really wasn't that hard. In my car, the hazard light is a part of the cluster hood, but it's on the outside edge of it toward the radio and what not. I'm not sure how it is on the newer cars, so this may not apply. All I did was remove the 4 screws that secure the hood to the dash, then looked at the back of it. There was a tab on the top and one on the bottom, and I just pushed them in and slid the switch out. Took me a few times, but nothing difficult. Then I undid the plug going into it. Next, I pried the electrical part of the switch apart with two small flat screwdrivers and there was the bulb! It was REALLY tiny and it was sort of integrated into a little rubber block that slides over two of the terminals on the switch. The bulb did come out of the little block, but it will have to be replaced as one unit rather than just the bulb as far as I can tell. I will call the dealer tomorrow and see how much it is. I'll check if it's the same for the newer ones, also.:)

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
I figured it would have to be replaced as one unit. I'll have to pick up a switch or 2 from the junkyard when I pick up the bumper beam for the front bumper conversion. Then I'll mess with those instead of the one ON my car. ;)

Let us know what you find as well. Thanks.

AJ

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
What I meant was that the bulb and the little rubber block that holds it are one unit. I would hope the entire switch would not have to be replaced, but I guess it's possible. I have not had a chance to call the dealer yet to see what's available-damn college! :mad: I'll try to remeber to call tomorrow before they close. I'll also check for the RS to see if it's the same.

·
Registered
2000 BRP
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just replaced my cruise control button light. The one that lights up orange when you active cruise control. Hopefully the bulbs area exactly the same for the hazard button as well. If it is, it should be a snap to change. Now getting the button out is another issue.

I'll probably do it on wed. cuz i have class tomorrow. If I do, I'll try to document it. :)

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
I called the dealer this morning, and they told me that the bulb is not listed as a replaceable item for the '95 or a '99, but that they have had that issue before and were usually able to match the bulbs up with other illumination bulbs. I will have to go down there and see what I can find. It may be awhile, though, because I refuse to go to the local dealer, so I drive an hour to the good guys! The whole switch for my '95 is $30.72, but I'd rather just find something close and make it work!:D

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
I replaced the Hazard bulb in our 97 OB, I just used one of the short bulbs that are used in the HVAC systems lighting:

I can't remember but I think the one I replaced in the hazard was clear and not green. I just scraped off the rubber green stuff w/ my fingernail. The bulbs were like 2+ bucks each.

PN 72351AC061 Pt061099 Bulb

If the base is a little different you can always just unwind the wires that hold the bulb and put them in the old holder after you take the bad bulb out. It's just like those little X-mas light bulbs.

Peaty

·
Registered
'95 GF6
39 Posts
I_H8_1.8 said:
What I meant was that the bulb and the little rubber block that holds it are one unit.
Doesn't the bulb have long wire leads which you can unwind from the rubber piece? That's how it was in my case. The replacement bulb was a Radio Shack part, same as the one some Legacy owners use in the climate control.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Actually, it does come apart, but I was thinking that if it were a replaceable item through the dealer, it would be considered one piece. I never thought about going to Radio Shack; good idea! You don't happen to know the part number, do you?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts