Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have a 01 RS, and have recently had the recall work performed. i purchased the car only a month ago, and had hoped that the recall would take car of this strange crackling noise. it is almost like backfiring noises but it sounds as though it is coming from the intake, airbox, or somewhere definitely under the hood.

help, anyone have any experience with this?

thanks,

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey man,

Well you are having the same "ISSUE" that I had. Do you have a aftermarket Intake or exhaust? if you only have an Intake, some times it will "POP" from the Intake, that's completely normal. I've spoke to so many Proshops and everyone told me that's normal. I too have a 01 RS, and until I put the Header and Exhaust it would " POP" under the hood or intake. Now it does it from the exhaust. It does it when you run 3-4k RPM and let the gas off and when you press on the gas again it would "POP" So don't worry about it. It's NORMAL....SUBARUS are Renouned for that sound.!

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I don't know if it is the same sound, but after getting a compression test, i've been having a backfire through the intake on my car. It happens about 3 times a day and only happens when i'm close to red line. The car seems to missfire when it happens. Have you guys ever heard of this happening????

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey TM,

I have not heard of that...I haven't got a clue on what would cause that. hmmm, you should drop the guys at SPO a line and see what steve would tell ya.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Thats strange that you would bring up SPO?!?! I haven't heard anyone mention them in a long time. I just talked to Steve last week. I don't know about asking him about stock motor issues, but I would say he is the guy you should talk to about turboing a RS. AVO has come out with a complete turbo kit for the 2.5, and he has it!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TMRRALLY and spinall4,

i don't know if it would happen at redline or not, it seems to occur when i shift and let out of it some generally 1st through 3rd gear. i am not really in it at all, maybe shifting at 3-3.5rpm, and it is comes and goes.

what do you think? no mods, totally stock.

·
Registered
58 Posts
hey Rally,

Does it do it when your on "high" gear and low RPM...when you let the gas off completely and press on it again?? if so that's NORMAL>!~

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
spinall4,

no, it just does it when shifting between lower gears at what i would consider moderate engine speed. it occurs when i let off of the gas pedal so as to not overrev the engine when depressing the clutch to switch gears.

again, what do you think?

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's normal, I wouldn't worry about it. Like I said my 01 RS does it all the time now. when I'm downshifting , upshifting...all the time. You know what they say, if it aint broke, don't fix it...

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
938 Posts
Sounds normal to me. I did the ECM recall thing too. Didn't really decrease the popping noises. My popping always came from the exhaust though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i still have it scheduled for its 7500 mile check up this friday, so i am just going to ask the guy to check it out along with the problems i am having with driver's window.

thanks for your help and experience. i agree with if it ain't broke don't fix it, but i just don't want it to brake if i could have prevented it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts