Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1994 WRX RA
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If anyone remembers about 5 years back, I was the proud owner of a 94 WRX RA over in Japan. Well, as luck may have it, I'm back in Japan. First thing I did was look for my old car. After about a year of searching I found it. The worst part is I found it in the local junk yard. So I began to search for its replacement. Just today I placed my down payment on a 95 WRX RA. I'm hoping to keep a good journal here and show the progress of the build as it goes. Here's the first picture of the car after I can call it mine.

Current plans for the build include a 6mt with DCCD, 4 pot brakes, quick steering rack, equal length header, aftermarket up and down pipe, and beef up the suspension and handling. I'm sure as time passes, there will be more I want to do to it but what is currently planned is a good start. As the build goes, I'll be posting more pics, status, and posts installed.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
841 Posts
I remember your type RA! I'm sad of where it ended up. But how cool is it that you are back in japan? Also, are 94 and 95's pretty close?

·
Registered
1994 WRX RA
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I can tell so far, they're darn near identical. Only difference I've noticed is on my 94 it has an antenna delete and the 95 has a pull out antenna in the same location on the drivers side a-pillar.

·
Registered
1994 WRX RA
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Finally starting the tear down and rebuild process with her. We got the engine out, installed the missing timing belt cover, checked the timing, changed the plugs and coil packs. While the engine is out we cleaned the engine bay, checked all the gaskets and seals, got the entire drive train out, and started the undercoating. With all of this going on we did a compression test and the results look within a good range. The inside of the gas tank looks a bit rough so we are currently looking for a GD tank to replace the original one with.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
846 Posts
Chassis looks great, nice and clean!

I believe I have that same wing except with taller legs... Personally I love it. Just needed some extra brackets to stabilize it. Are you gonna go back to an OEM wing?

·
Registered
1994 WRX RA
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Took 2 years searching in Japan for the car I wanted in the condition I wanted. That wing is coming off. I personally do not like the look of them. All holes in the trunk lid will be welded closed. I'm going wingless.

·
Registered
1994 WRX RA
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking for recommendations. Currently I have 2 options for rims on this car and I'm a little undecided. I have the choice of either the 16" STi te07s or the 17" version 7 rims. What are ya'll thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
841 Posts
I'm a big fan of the ver 7's

·
Registered
1994 WRX RA
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A few more options have come up for the RA. We are looking at gold rpf1 17x7.5 rims and possibly doing away with the 4 pot fronts and installing brembos all around. This will include the calipers, rotors, rear hubs, r180 shafts to go with the 6mt swap, new pads and steel braided hoses. Trying to decide if the extra $1300 is worth it.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
841 Posts
My objection to the Brembos is their weight. You spend all that money for admittedly great looking and performing brakes, but they weigh you down. I'm happy with the performance of my 4/2 pots and EBC red pads.

·
Registered
1994 WRX RA
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The main reasons I'm leaning towards the brembos is I'll have 2 pot rears (not on the original plans) and I'll have the proper shafts and hubs for the 6mt swap. This car will be coming back to the states with me and I want to make replacing parts easier. If we go with the hybrid shafts, they'll be more difficult to replace if they break. Parts for the ej20g closed deck will be hard enough to source. As far as the rims, I've always wanted the rpf1's

·
Registered
1994 WRX RA
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
A few more pics of the build. I decided to go with the brembos all around and the Enkei Rpf1's. We're still looking for the 6mt driveshaft to complete the STi drivetrain and the blue intercooler piping. The GDB STi gas tank is installed and ready to fill. As far as DCCD in this WRX RA, we've decided to go the DCCD Pro route. Once she call roll, she'll be going in for fresh paint. White parts stay white and black parts stay black. The holes in the trunk lid will be welded shut. We already put a protective layer of undercoat in the bottom of the car.

One question, has anyone ever seen a white/silver "I" badge before?

·
Registered
1994 WRX RA
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some photos of her straight out of the paint booth.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
321 Posts
Very cool. Nothing as satisfying as seeing your baby with a fresh coat of paint. Pretty bold bringing her back home with you - can't imagine what a process that has to be. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
1994 WRX RA
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm finally the proud owner of this 95 WRX RA. She is damn near rust free and virtually bullet proof mechanically with the mods we did. Now the refinement begins with the little details.

·
Registered
1994 WRX RA
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Already have my first leak. Looks to be diff fluid dripping off the front diff. Taking it in tomorrow to get looked at.

·
Registered
1994 WRX RA
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
My mechanic cleaned off the transmission area, took it for a drive and found no leak. They said the fluid level was still full. When they pulled the axles to put new seals in, they noticed the wrong 6mt axles were installed. They're putting the correct ones in and verifying this stupid the leak tomorrow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts