Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1501 - 1520 of 1523 Posts

·
Registered
00rs and 97 GF8 L wagon
802 Posts
I also replaced the valve cover gaskets since there was a small leak on the passenger side and slight dampness on the driver side. It was pretty cramped but the passenger's side was not bad but the driver's side was tough. I actually had to do the driver's side twice. The first time I was rushing and the gasket got caught on a cam bolt when installing and I didn't realize I tore the gasket, so when I started the car I was leaking pretty bad. Re did it with a new valve cover gasket the second time by getting all the fuel lines, hoses and harness out of the way .
I feel you on this one. I did it on my Wrx and had to remove a bunch of stuff. I also unbolted the engine mounts from cross member and raised the engine to get more clearance. At first start up I thought I did it wrong because the engine bay was smoking a lot. Then I realized that it was just remaining residue burning off the exhaust.

·
Registered
97 WRX STi Type-R
185 Posts
Last time I did those gaskets on my engine I finally decided to get engine out :)
I wanted to adjust valves at the same time, and although it maybe possible with engine in the bay, but I wouldn't want to go through that...
Also I managed to brake one of the cam cap bolts torquing cams down, man that seems to be fun thing to fix on Subaru with engine in the car :)))

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
'98 RSTi, '10 LGT, '17 FXT
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,504
I feel you on this one. I did it on my Wrx and had to remove a bunch of stuff. I also unbolted the engine mounts from cross member and raised the engine to get more clearance. At first start up I thought I did it wrong because the engine bay was smoking a lot. Then I realized that it was just remaining residue burning off the exhaust.
Yeah, when I did my passenger side there was a ton of oil that got on the header and there was so much smoke.

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,505
Last time I did those gaskets on my engine I finally decided to get engine out :)
I wanted to adjust valves at the same time, and although it maybe possible with engine in the bay, but I wouldn't want to go through that...
Also I managed to brake one of the cam cap bolts torquing cams down, man that seems to be fun thing to fix on Subaru with engine in the car :)))
Makes me wish I had a kswapped car lol

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,506
I need to get me an A/C thingy

Great updates! Curious to see improvements with the fans down the road.
I don't own those gauges I just rent them from AutoZone along with the vacuum pump

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,508 (Edited)
New coilovers on the daily. I was not satisfied with the Swift springs and the KYB GR2/Excel G shocks. It was underdamped and the car kept bouncing on the freeway and would hit the bump stops on rough roads. So I got a set of RCE T Zeros and boy they handle great. The T Zeros are only height adjustable, the shocks can't change their dampening which is fine for my daily. They are firm and don't keep on bouncing on the freeway and compliant over railroads.

Lowered the rear a little more from this last pic

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,509
Did some autox in September and something is wrong with my compression adjustment in my rebuilt RCE T2s. No matter the setting its always just stiff, even at full soft the car's compression is stiff.

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,510
Got married last month and my wife humored me by taking wedding pics with the car lol

After planning the wedding 4 times because of covid we decided embrace the times and do a curbside wedding in our car with an officiant and a zoom meeting
Us in the FXT

We did a photoshoot afterwards and had a nice dinner and we'll have a party later on when its safer for people

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,511
Went out to Subiefest 2020 aka Subietrafficjam and heres a pic with all 3 Subies before heading out

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,512 (Edited)
Went on a track day and went of the track so hard that I destroyed my front splitter and bent my wheel and one of my tire's steel belt broke so I'll need new tires. Instead of staying in a Motel6 my awesome new wife drove separately in our Forester and we car camped at the track:

Other friends out there:

Before the carnage:

After:

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,513
On the way home there was a clunking in the rear, and when I accelerated from cruising speed the car would want to turn. So I rotated my tires just front to back and back to front and now the car is pulling in one direction. I was wanting to get new wheels sometime next year but I'm gonna have to buy just 1 RPF1 for now and a whole set of tires so I can still do events.
My bent wheel

A different wheel with the busted tire:

This shot shows the tire leaning because of the shoulder being bigger all around, free camber:

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,514
When I was testing for the drive train issue I found a leak from the turbo and didn't know what it exactly was till I took off the intercooler and the heat shield and pressurized the system.

Turns out the heat shield was rubbing into the AN fitting for the EWG coolant lines. So I trimmed the heatshield and got a new AN fitting and washed off the Button Willow dust off the engine bay. I knew the extra complexity of the coolant lines were gonna bite me, but hopefully trimming its fine now.

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,515
I took off the RCE T2s so I could ship them back to KW for inspection and thankfully the rebuild is warrantied for 6 months. The front LCA's still had their original bushings in them so I got a set of SuperPros in. Getting the OEM bushings out was sketchy but doable using rental tools from O'Reilly.

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,516
Did the first oil change on the Forester since getting it and installed a Fumoto valve.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
296 Posts
Just finished reading your thread...Epic build. Looks like you really put your car through it's paces and drive it too! You guys are a great looking couple. Congrats! On a side note:
"Did some autox in September and something is wrong with my compression adjustment in my rebuilt RCE T2s. No matter the setting its always just stiff, even at full soft the car's compression is stiff."
I had a very similar issue, along with several others, with a pair of KW V3s a few years back - that and 2 of the spring locking collars cracking - I was gentle but the composite around the locking set screws cracked. Unfortunately the warranty had expired and I went a different route. Anyway, nice work!

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,519
Awesome pile of updates. You got yourself a good girl there. Congrats.
Thanks man!

Just finished reading your thread...Epic build. Looks like you really put your car through it's paces and drive it too! You guys are a great looking couple. Congrats! On a side note:
"Did some autox in September and something is wrong with my compression adjustment in my rebuilt RCE T2s. No matter the setting its always just stiff, even at full soft the car's compression is stiff."
I had a very similar issue, along with several others, with a pair of KW V3s a few years back - that and 2 of the spring locking collars cracking - I was gentle but the composite around the locking set screws cracked. Unfortunately the warranty had expired and I went a different route. Anyway, nice work!
Hopefully its fixable. Thanks!

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,520
Got new wheels and tires in!

For the Forester!!! Blue and gold!!

1501 - 1520 of 1523 Posts