Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1481 - 1500 of 1523 Posts

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
'98 RSTi, '10 LGT, '17 FXT
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,481
I'm also replacing all the coolant hoses.
Did the heater hoses:

The top and bottom radiator hoses:

Going to bypass the OEM Oil "cooler":

And replaced the water pump hoses:

Had to take the radiator out to get to the OEM oil cooler hoses:

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,482
Got the coilovers back, assembled and installed

And reinstalled the radiator and filled her up:

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,484
Got my fiance into a Subaru finally, a 2017 Forester XT Touring in Quartz Blue Pearl!

·
Registered
00'RS w/EJ20 swap, 13'Volt, 06' Frontier
991 Posts
nice updates here. I feel like I'm betraying the forum by being more active on FB and insta even though I was never a big social media guy.

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,487
nice updates here. I feel like I'm betraying the forum by being more active on FB and insta even though I was never a big social media guy.
No worries, I mainly post on Insta. I just followed you lol

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,489
Got the Getadomtune 4th cylinder cooling mod in, I should have done this before I filled up the coolant but I just drained and reused the new coolant. Install was pretty easy, but I removed the TMIC and did the work from both the top of the engine and the under the car:

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,490
The OEM rear endlink had its threads stripped on my daily so I ordered in some whiteline endlinks and installed them:

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,491
I replaced a lot of components on my rear suspension too. I got new rear trailing arms off a guy that builds them on ebay. He doesn't have a website but they look like quality pieces with huge bearings and they are about 1/4" shorter than stock for lowered vehicles. His shop was called Road Race Motorsport, he claimed these would be the last set he made because he wanted to get out of the gig to spend more time with family:

I also installed Whiteline rear adjustable lateral links with the tow lock kit. I used my OE links to get them to the right lengths before the install and I'm going in for an alignment this week:

And the tow lock kit sets it up so that the OEM tow adjustment is disabled since the link will be doing all the adjustment for camber and tow:

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,493
I've been having a small oil leak for god knows how long:

I thought it was the turbo oil drain tube or gasket so I took the turbo out:

But it turns out the leak was from the oil feed tube from the head to the turbo and AVCS. I cut it apart and got it out, I'll be replacing it with a ss line one when that comes in:

The car has been having starting issues with the starter. In fact when I left West End it couldn't start and I had to push start the car. So I installed a rebuilt starter from Denso:

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,495
When I had a shop install my EWG the installed it with the coolant lines plumbed in but they just used a hose clamped to the AN fitting so that eventually leaked and I removed the coolant lines from the EWG back in 2016. After doing some research since the car is a track car it should have the EWG cooled so I got some an barb fittings so I could run the coolant lines correctly:

Got the turbo back in and installed the Torque Solutions turbo and AVCS oil feed lines:

Put the Perrin heatshield back on:

The Crawford AOS back in:

The OEM Turbo to IC hose has seen better days and this last time trying to put it back in was difficult because it was torn so I got a Mishimoto hose and had to trim it to fit:

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,496
The new starter seemed it was having issues but I traced everything down to a bad ground from the negative battery terminal, so maybe my old starter was just fine lol. My leak from the turbo oil feed is fixed but I think I'm also leaking from the passenger side valve cover, so that'll be next on the to do list.

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,497
I just wanted to see how gold wheels will look like on the SJ Forester haha

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,498
My AC Stopped blowing cold air and I remember that the low and high side pressures were off. The low side was too low and the high side was too high so there was a blockage or the expansion valve gets stuck. So I replaced the expansion valve and the dryer at the same time.
Had to take the evaporator and blower box out of the dash. I've done this on my GD wagon before and its different that that, the whole evaporator and blower come out together which does make it easier:

Empty dash:

Got the old expansion valve out:

New expansion valve back in:

Got it all back under the dash:

Vacuumed the AC and refilled it:

Pressure numbers were correct about 55 low and 275 high at 95 ambient temp:

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,499
And then an autox over the weekend. AC Worked great but on idle it didn't blow as cold as I would have liked. I'm currently using the 11" low profile Spal fans and I'll be replacing them with 12" medium profile Spal fans soon, which is almost a 500 CFM increase per fan.

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,500
I also replaced the valve cover gaskets since there was a small leak on the passenger side and slight dampness on the driver side. It was pretty cramped but the passenger's side was not bad but the driver's side was tough. I actually had to do the driver's side twice. The first time I was rushing and the gasket got caught on a cam bolt when installing and I didn't realize I tore the gasket, so when I started the car I was leaking pretty bad. Re did it with a new valve cover gasket the second time by getting all the fuel lines, hoses and harness out of the way .

1481 - 1500 of 1523 Posts