Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

81 - 100 of 1473 Posts

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
'98 RSTi, '10 LGT, '03 WRX Wgn
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Installed the 04 sti rack and replaced the power steering pump as it was leaking pretty bad (the power steering would cut out during hard turns). The quicker steering ratio makes the car more fun to drive now.

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Picked up a Ver 6 R160 suretrack LSD from a local member. Gotta replace my busted VLSD and replace my driver's side rear axle (since the boot has been torn for a while) this weekend.

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Never gonna get enough money to get this painted if I keep spending it on parts :(

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
1,471 Posts
Good stuff man! Yea I love how the STI Steering rack makes the car feel more fun to drive LOL. I'm glad I did the steering rack swap. Yea I want to paint mines sooo bad too, but then again I want a 6spd more than a paint job lol

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Yeah 14 year old paint kinda sucks, it doesn't look so bad in pics but in person, there are fade spots everywhere and failing clear coat :( But I keep on buying other parts, I want to get aluminum LCAs sometime, to offset the weight of the heavy 4pots.

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
1,471 Posts
Yea I wanted to get aluminum LCA at the time of my swap too, but the funds were very limited at the time. Now that I have everything bolted up, i'm too lazy to swap out my LCA if I were to get some HAHA.

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
Installed my new to me Suretrac LSD since my vlsd was busted. I can feel the difference in taking turns, but I haven't had a chance to take it through hard turns yet.
Here's a pic of the diff while it was out of the car. I had to dremmel out my existing diff housing to fit this in. Sorry for the crappy pic, my hands were oily lol.

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Hmm through more image searching, it looks like the rear diff I have is actually a Cusco LSD? I searched for Suretrac LSDs and they don't look like the one i have. It was sold to me as a Suretrac, but from all the pics, especially on the face of the cylindrical side, with the triangular hole with the circle inbetween it.

Here are some stock photos of the Cusco R160 from rallysportdirect (if its ok to use this image)

And even from looking from the passenger side to the diff, the plates look like how I remember them when I had the LSD in my hand.

Even the housing looks the same. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
99'RS w/EJ205, 16'340i 13'Volt
966 Posts
what "diff" does it make what i think? jk

nice car just went through the whole thread.

·
Registered
98 Black RS & 09 White FXT
253 Posts
The R160 diff needs different axels than the ones that came with an RS right? Mine is a 98 so I dont even have the OEM 00-01 diff, just wondering what I need.

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)
The R160 diff needs different axels than the ones that came with an RS right? Mine is a 98 so I dont even have the OEM 00-01 diff, just wondering what I need.
Naw, the R160 came in older impreza's and up to wrxs, the diff in your 98 RS is also a R160, just no LSD. R160 were also used in old Datsun 510s. The 98RS just doesn't have the LSD and is just an open diff. I'm using the stock 98 RS axles with a differential from a 04 OBS to get the right gear ratio and I put in this Cusco LSD (thats what I think it is) into it no problem.

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Just ordered a set of Hawk HP+ pads for Buttonwillow on the 10th. My wife wants to drive her mostly stock RS for the track, so we gotta change out some fluids and maybe swap her breaks out to my old WRX/H6 setup.

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
She only wanted to work on the car since it was her own car. She usually doesn't want to help me on my car lol.
No new pics of the Fozzy since we haven't added anything new since the Koyo radiator.

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Got a new front sway bar in the mail. Need to cure some of my of my oversteer out.

81 - 100 of 1473 Posts