Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP Coupe
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What axles are compatible with the 98-01 RS's?

I've searched through the forums and can't find any info.

I have a 00 RS with a 02 tranny. The 00 axles work fine with the 02 tranny. I'm wondering if the same year (or any year) forester/legacy/impreza L/etc axles are the same?

Actually...are all the axles (except STI) the same? I'm talking about the front axles. Front right in particular, although seeing as it's symetrical, I'm assuming they're all the same?

Any help would be hot.

TIA

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,883 Posts
Well there are a few different PN for around 2000 MY cars. They should fit and interchange though. I know the axles from my 95 wagon looked the same as the ones from a 00 legacy. They where different in the fact that the CV joints where bigger on the 95 shaft vs the 00 shaft. That could be why there are different part numbers.

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP Coupe
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good point

i'm wondering if abs/speed sensors have anything to do with it too...

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,883 Posts
tekgnosis said:
good point

i'm wondering if abs/speed sensors have anything to do with it too...
That might be true too. The newer hubs have the ABS in the hub and the older stuff has the tone ring bolted to the stud flange of the hub.

If you want to know for sure call up a dealer or auto parts store. If you call a auto parts store you will most likely get a wider range of compatible stuff because the dealer will give you the exact part to replace what you have.

·
Registered
2000 BRP Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
470 Posts
kay95 said:
If you want to know for sure call up a dealer or auto parts store. If you call a auto parts store you will most likely get a wider range of compatible stuff because the dealer will give you the exact part to replace what you have.
but that part number could be used on a bunch of different cars, which they could probably tell you.

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,883 Posts
KAX said:
but that part number could be used on a bunch of different cars, which they could probably tell you.
There was a thread about this before. I know the 2000 has two different numbers. They are different from MY99.

Now these are the part numbers. The shafts most likely interchange. If you call the dealer and there are more than 1 part for that year you need the VIN number. The deal will give you a exact replacement. If you went to say advance auto and ask for a 2000 impreza front shaft it could have the same number as a 90 legacy. Thats what you ment right?

·
Registered
2000 BRP Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
470 Posts
not sure. just talking with my friend who is a parts guy at the dealership here, when Id ask him for a part, he'd get the number and tell me which cars it came from, so I could see if they were the same/interchangeable. figured it'd be the same with the axles.

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP Coupe
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, i think they're pretty much ALL the same, thanks to the AWD system being symetrical.

I know the WRX axles are the same length, as are the legacy ones. I managed to put an 02 legacy axle on an 02 wrx transmission, mated to an 00 RS :)

Gotta love the LEGO aspect of subaru's! BTW, the part numbers are different, but the parts are the same.

·
Registered
1996 Imp Brighton, Acadia Gree
464 Posts
noob question: all 4 of my front cv boots have ripped, so im going to change the entire axle assembly, im wondering are left and right the same? also front and rear...just in case?

i found a site that sells front axles for $100, but they only listed driver's side

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
I have noticed that the ring for the ABS is on the axles up front on the RS's. The older model seems to be on the hubs. I'm not sure if this applies to Imprezas, or also the Foresters/Legacys.

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,883 Posts
I know it does for legacys because I have a pair of knuckles from a legacy with the sensor in the hub.

·
Registered
464 Posts
defghui said:
noob question: all 4 of my front cv boots have ripped, so im going to change the entire axle assembly, im wondering are left and right the same? also front and rear...just in case?

i found a site that sells front axles for $100, but they only listed driver's side
i really need to know this asap, please

·
Registered
464 Posts
thanks, im guessing the rear ones must be different than the fronts right?

one more question, someone told me the new front axles wont fit with old imps because of abs, is that true?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts