Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I put a 2.2 tranny in my 1.8 project car to get it running becuase that is all I could find at the time. The car starts but we went to put in the axles and the 1.8 axles wont go on the tranny. Ok so my question is that if I get 2.2 axles will I have a problem getting them through the rotors?
And the tranny seems to be stuck in gear and when I shifted around with the transmission in the other car it was ok. Now I have everything hooked up and it seems to be stuck in gear and I cant even move the shifter around much. What would cause this? Not having it in neutral when I hooked up the shift linkage?
Thanks for any help,
Kenny

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
There is no reason the axle won't slip into the trans. I've had Brighton axles in OBS trannies, RS trannies and most recently, an OBX LSD meant for a 5spd WRX.... You have other issues, like debris in the splines.

When you put the shifter mechanism together, you might have missed a washer or got it misaligned. It's bound up.....so loosen the nuts and try it. If it moves easier, take it apart and do it again. Replace the bushings with good poly pieces while it's apart. Kartboy or Turn In Concepts, etc.....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. Also were are the springs supposed to be located? I did not take the linkage apart but put it back together so I was not too sure?

·
Registered
'98 Forester
95 Posts
The 1.8 axles do have different splines on the trans than the 2.2 trans, ... so you will need 2.2 Impreza axles, they will fit the hubs fine ...

I had the same issue when converting an AWD to FWD using a 1.8 FWD trans , I had to use the 1.8 axles ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts