Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I might tease you guys with this(assuming you don't already know about this). The AVO 2.5 turbo kit is here!!! I will have more info for you guys after the 3rd, maybe sooner. Either way if you guys are interested I will be able to supply it to you guys when I start my new job Sept. 3rd. I will start a thread in the venders section when that time comes around. For now here is some pics and start asking questions and I will do what I can to answer them.

sean

Attachments

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have both of these pics in a huge format, they are much easier to see details. Give me your e-mail add. if you want me to e-mail you the big pics.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
What about a front mount intercooler for those of us without that scoop on our hoods? Or is it better to just pick up a WRX hood?

I have heard when a turbo is added to an engine that was not engineered with a turbo in mind one must put a “mellow” cam in and also lower the compression some how. Is there any truth to this? It seems consistent with the differences between the engine in my car and the WRX.

What about management? Does the kit come with a computer upgrade?

Dolor for dolor, is this upgrade better than say a Cobb heads and a lumpy ass cam?

What are you going to eat for dinner?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
For modest boosting you won't need to lower your compression rate. Kits like this are generally made with people having the stock engine in mind.

Generally a kit putting out 6psi should run fine on stock internals. Lowering the compression rate would allow you to increase the psi amount. But unless you're going for insane levels, you'll generally do just as well by keeping a lower psi and higher compression.

Stock cams are also fine for turbo. If you want to upgrade your cams, then yes, cams made to take advantage of NA engines are very different than boost-friendly cams.

As far as the Forced Induction vs NA theory goes, well, there's tons of info in here and other forums. Generally I would say that the NA route is easier, safer, more reliable, but FI route will get you more power for the money. Your mileage may vary :)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
What PSI is it running at?

Which turbo is it?

What diameter is the exhaust piping?

Any idea how many PSI you can safely run on the internal waste gate?

Anything checking for knock?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does come with management.

I will ask about front mounts, but I would just lean tord getting a wrx hood.

Lo0mis, I will add your questions to my list. I want to give it afew more days so I have a good list of questions to ask about. Keep asking!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Besides for the reprogrammed ECU how does this kit maintain the proper air/fuel ratio? I mean until a bunch of people run it safetly I can really put down 4K unless I know they did a pheonominal job reprogramming the ECU. No need for a rising rate because of ECU? I also didn't see new injectors, would we be safer buying new ones in addition to the kit or are they saying the stocks one are more than sufficient? Any option with included gauges? (exhaust temp, oil pressure, boost, afr) I ask these questions because if I'm going turbo these are the things I will want before i feel safe boosting it down the street.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey guys, there wasn't much info being passed on this thread so I e-mailed SPO about the engine managment included with the AVO kit this is what they said:

The engine management has about 150 different setting programmed for
mixture at different RPM and boost levels. Cold start, Hot start, accel
pump, and all the timing properties. This has been done on a 4WD dyno.
The computer is a link that has been customized for the Subaru 2.5. This
will work with the stock injectors and the stock fuel pump must be in good
condition. Please give us a call for more details. 503-244-2800 Steve

Sounds damn good to me!! I would get a J&S Safegaurd just to sit in the back ground incase something pooped out, but I would feel much more comfortable buying this kit now! I'm actually saving this minute for it...the craftsmanship looks much better than any other kit on the market!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Lo0mis said:
Any idea how many PSI you can safely run on the internal waste gate?
I'm still curious about this. The only reason that I'd be getting the Ludespeed kit over any others is the external wastegate. I know that at low boost this isn't really a factor, but I'm thinking about future upgrades.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Oh, and is the Link programmable, or are you stuck with the config they give you? Is it one of the ECU replacement units or a piggyback?

·
Registered
100 Posts
The link is programmable...but they give you info to start from so you can get the car running...and then tune the car to your specs and liking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts