Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 stage II+ S4/ 01 2.5RS-T
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So this week I decided to buy a boost gauge with some spare money. Right now I have a AVO kit on my 01 RS with PP6 and some bolt ons. The kit is suposed to run at 6psi. I had my Audi buddy help me install the boost gauge as when I was mounting the actual gauge he was cutting the vaccum line to hook up the boost gauge.
But when I took a look at it he snipped the vaccum line going from the wastegate to the turbo. So I turned on the car and I saw no vacuum or boost showing up on the gauge. I told him to cut the line going from the BOV to the Intake manifold but he messed up. So for the spin around the block I taped the wastegate to turbo line and hooked the gauge up to the BOV to intake manifold to see if everything worked.
It worked fine for the first 5 minutes. But once I got to full boost it was only reading 3-4 PSI, feeling the same power I have had since I got the kit. I drove to baxters to get a new line to fix the wastegate to turbo line when I noticed my boost started to spike. I pulled over and noticed the tape came un done which I predicted. But I decided to give it one more pull since I knew I was getting a new block this summer. It spiked to 9-10 psi and I felt a amazing pull and then the next time it went down to 6psi. Again I felt more pull then before. So im wondering if you think my car wasnt tuned to 6psi and maybe a mistake?

And yes its a long post, and im a little tipsy. But thought I would ask. Found it confusing as it was pulling way harder at 6psi.

Jon

·
Registered
2000 Subaru RSTi Silverthorn
349 Posts
Jon! where did you end up mounting the gauge? Sorry i have no help for the real problem.

·
Registered
2005 RSTi
2,101 Posts
Do you have any form of a boost controller? Have you messed with the original setting of the wastegate actuator...AVO kits come set to 4 psi out of the box.

·
Registered
2000 stage II+ S4/ 01 2.5RS-T
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ACraPPyRS said:
Do you have any form of a boost controller? Have you messed with the original setting of the wastegate actuator...AVO kits come set to 4 psi out of the box.

No I havnt messed with anything. I mean I told sean to put it at 6psi when he tuned it but maybe he forgot or something?

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Did you have it tuned at RalliTek, or just mailed to you? My AVO kit is still running the 4-5 PSI (I tweaked it a little) it came at, but the PP6 should have the settings from the factory to run up to 6 PSI.

·
Registered
414 Posts
So it sounds like you were running WG default, and then you changed some lines around, spiked to 10psi and now you are running 6psi, so you must have hooked up lines incorrectly and in the process of fixing the lines that were cut hooked up your solenoid?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any problems you had running a taped line I would blame on running a taped line. The boost control on these systems are quite sensitive to minor leaks (i.e. 2 or 3 psi from a taped segment)

It sounds like you were running wastegate boost when you discovered it came loose. Hence the 10 psi. Not sure why it came down to 6 psi the next pull but be carefull running wastegate boost as im sure your car isnt optimally tuned for it.

Fix your boost lines. then take a few pulls.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts