Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some or most of you might already know this...

You should Autocross with at least 1/2 Tank of gas!

I went to the Indy Autocross today. Still learning how to do this, I went with less than 1/4 tank of fuel. The first set of turns, actually one turn that went just over 360 degress with a drastically decreasing radius so that it turned inside of itself, opened up to a series of serpentine gates. As I reached the gates my car would loose power. After much discussion it was decided that I was starving the engine for fuel because there wasn't enough fuel and the pickups weren't getting enough.

Moral of the Story...Go to the next event with a full tank of gas!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'll remember that when i race Sunday over in L'ville. I wonder how big,fast a course they make over at the Papa John's stadium. :biggest:

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Actually, there is a big baffle....but it doesn't lend itself to keeping the fuel by the pickup. The tank has a big hump in it to clear the driveshaft. I think there has to be a better way to keep from getting fuel starvation. I've gotten bit by it twice now, costing me wins in DSP. Race tires multiply the problem!
:curse: :curse: :curse:

·
Registered
2000 Blue Ridge Pearl Subaru I
294 Posts
Yeah, I think we've all been bitten by this at one time or another. I had a little less than a quarter tank one time and every hard sweeper I hit, the engine would hiccup and burp. Sucked! I use at least solid 1/3 of a tank now and that seems to help.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
SOA should recall them all and have balance tubes installed to keep both sides the same level.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought about trying to get them to replace my tires because of excessive wear:D

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Probably shouldn't give away SCCA memberships with a new car purchase if it's gonna let you down with anything less than 1/2 tank of gas or piss poor driving. I don't get just a burp or cough. I get a good 1.5seconds of no-power whatsoever until the fuel get's back to the lines. :dick:
10th Warrior said:
right, SOA is going to recall gas tanks because they aren't the best for auto-x use :rolleyes: and now, back to reality...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was figuring on 1/2 second loss...a 1.5 second loss would have put me up there near the big boys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts