Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well i bought a 2004 wrx trans tonight..
it came with hubs, axles, clutch, linkage, cross member, drive shaft,diff,slave cylinder
it did not come with a wrx trans harness,petal box, but what else do i need to do to the ecu??
should i use a wrx pedal box or an 2000 rs

p.s. im new to this......:facepalm: take it easy on me
tried looking around here but could not find anything i suck with forums

THANKS,
Mikey

·
Registered
1999 Impreza L
96 Posts
Basicly wondering if I can use the harness on my rs auto Trans?and what will it take to work with the ecu?
When I did my swap I used the auto harness and just spliced in what I needed. For the ECU, you just need to ground the pin that identifies whether it is an AT or MT. I removed the TCM as well.

The ECU diagram from this post is what I used to find that pin (pin 25).

For the other wiring diagrams, head over to the Factory Service Manual Thread to download the service manuals with the wiring diagrams. Click the first link, which will lead you here. You'll want to download the ImprezaGC-1996-2001.zip file. Once you download it, there will be a folder labeled 'Wiring Diagrams Section'.

You'll need to use those diagrams to wire up your VSS, neutral safety switch, reverse lights, and to splice together some wires on the old auto shifter to let your key come out.

Some other good resources:

DIY Auto to Manual Swap
Surreal Image - Subaru Legacy AT-MT swap
05 WRX MT into 98 Legacy

Remember some of these other threads are different model years and different models altogether, so make sure you have the correct diagrams for your specific car.

There are also a ton of threads out there, so if you are having trouble using the forum search, go to google and type in: site:rs25.com and whatever search term you want.

ex. site:rs25.com auto to manual swap

This will return results only from rs25 (try it with nasioc as well), with those terms in the threads or posts. I find it to be much more effective than the forums search.

·
Registered
95 **** Piece
6,822 Posts
The ecu part is the simplest part. You simply found one pin to tell the ecu it is manual (can't remember the pin off the top of my head right now). If it all possible I would just switch to a manual cars bulk harness, but I don't know how your budget is. Using the stock auto harness is definatley do-able but it is really hard to keep it looking decent and not a mess. The last one I did I took out the TCU, shifter, and all that other auto BS and just wired in the reverse switch, neutral switch, clutch switch, VSS, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The ecu part is the simplest part. You simply found one pin to tell the ecu it is manual (can't remember the pin off the top of my head right now). If it all possible I would just switch to a manual cars bulk harness, but I don't know how your budget is. Using the stock auto harness is definatley do-able but it is really hard to keep it looking decent and not a mess. The last one I did I took out the TCU, shifter, and all that other auto BS and just wired in the reverse switch, neutral switch, clutch switch, VSS, etc.

if that's easy...whats hard.....

·
Registered
1999 Impreza L
96 Posts
if that's easy...whats hard.....
It's not too bad, it just seems daunting at first. If it makes you feel any better, I initially installed the tranny in June, but didn't finish wiring everything until last month! I had the Neutral safety switch CEL for quite some time.

If you take your time and look at each individual piece that needs to be done, rather than trying to take on everything at once, it will be a lot easier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
so i have to get pedals for this..and i guess bauer is telling me that i cant use 2004 wrx pedals because they dont fit and i need to get pre 2002 pedals.. OR can i just get away with buying rs pedals???

·
ALL THE STI PARTS
01 RSTI w/07 EJ257, Brembos
1,815 Posts
so i have to get pedals for this..and i guess bauer is telling me that i cant use 2004 wrx pedals because they dont fit and i need to get 04ish legacy pedals.. OR can i just get away with buying rs pedals???
AFAIK, the pedal box has to match the clutch on the transmission you're using. Why can't you use the WRX pedal box?

·
Registered
95 **** Piece
6,822 Posts
A wrx pedal box will fit, but takes some modifying. If you want direct bolt on get a pedal box from a GC with a hydraulic clutch.

·
Registered
95 **** Piece
6,822 Posts
what will need to be moded? pedal box or firewall?
dumb question prob.. are all gc8 cars hydraulic??
Don't know, I didn't even bother just threw the wrx pedals aside and threw in some GC ones I had sitting around. It would probably be easier to modify the firewall. Some GC's are cable clutch. If I were to guess I would say earlier (like pre 97) would be more likely to be cable clutch, but it would just be a guess.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.