Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
subbie
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those with the automatics, how do you do your run.
i tried power braking in 2nd and leave it in 2 the whole way but my start is terriable, should i start in 1st or drive?

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
My experience:

Always start in first
Shift it to second when you want to
I rarely got to third on an auto-cross
Pray you can get it into first on tight corners (sometimes worked for me)

I always manually shifted during runs and have been VERY competitive. Often outrunning 5-speed RS's in STS

·
Registered
179 Posts
if u start in 2nd it ll always be a slow start...cuz its for like bad weather(snow, rain)when u need a slow start...so either keep it in first power brake til where ur car loads up the torque at the best rpm and go....then shift to 2nd OR leave it in 3rd and launch and then down shift to 2nd as the car shifts automatically to 2nd...preventin it to go to 3rd....and then whatever after that.....most the courses i been on 3rd was the highest gear i would be in(high speed course)...but mainly 2nd....

RS auto's usually shifts at the highest point when u slam it(right before the rev limiter) but i like startin at 3rd and then down shifting....cuz when i do first sometimes it slips and goes to 3rd....which i really hate....hahaha its better since if i down shift too far i can correct before the car reacts.....but up shifting the car reacts too quick to compensate.....

Acc

·
Registered
29 Posts
I always manually shifted during runs and have been VERY competitive. Often outrunning 5-speed RS's in STS
Let's quantify that statement a bit with "some" inserted before 5-speed.

Thank you. We now return you to your regularily scheduled programming...

Mark

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
MARK! LOL! Yeah, Mark is the only stud who beats me on a regular basis. And he has a 5-speed.

But then again Mark, you have to admit that I can be very quick with my little 4EAT. Right? I've outrun plenty of other people.

For the record, I've placed 15th, 6th, 6th, and 4th this season.

Last season I got 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and first. That was in the San Francisco region. There were a lot more RS' drivers there, too.

It's not the car, it's the driver. :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts